First slate call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Woodnknots

finally got back from a short detachment and was able to crank out my first slate turkey call. It's slate on aluminum, and it sounds pretty good! African Mahogony.

Attachments

• turkey call.jpg
    turkey call.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 187
  • turkeycallside.jpg
    turkeycallside.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

nice looking call, i like the holes in the bottom.
how much of a space did you go with between the bottom of your slate and the top of the aluminum?
Harry

Hi Dave,
You slate call looks good... I've a few that I made... they're a few years old now, but still get attention at my booth... haven't had much call for them lately though...

I see you are a CPO... when I was in the navy, my last station was on board a DDER out of SFO/Treasure Island. We were part of a unit that did radar pickets off the west coast from Adak down to Balboa... my ship usually worked off SF or LA and sometimes down as far as SD... part of the fleet was a couple of YGR's that I heard, never got on board to see, but heard that they had a full hobby room for crew, since once on station, not a lot of activity on board ship... I heard that one of the CPO's built a full sized fishing boat... again, only heard through scuttlebut, but our chief's spent most of their time fishing off the fantail... part of my job as radioman was to send a report weekly of the number and types of fish they caught... it was nice when they had a good run and got into a school of fish... we had a change in diet from chicken to fish.

Here are couple of the turkey pots I made... mine are slate over glass, the first one is turned from Elm and the second one is from heart poplar... this one got dropped and the glass has broken loose from the bottom and I haven't figured out how to remove the slate safely to re-glue the glass... still sounds okay, but can't sell it with the glass loose.

Attachments

• 21-344.jpg
    21-344.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 21-344-3.jpg
    21-344-3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 21-350.JPG
    21-350.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 21-350-2.JPG
    21-350-2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 153

sbarton22

That looks very cool, but I have no idea how that works. I get a call that you blow into, but this is beyond me.

But it does look cool. Is the slate precut as a circle? Does that come in a kit?

Top Bottom