First Self Stabilized Burl - Sindora on Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings all:

Today I made a Gold Jr. Gent pen using a blank of Sindora Burl from Laos that I stabilized myself. I just started stabilizing recently and this was the first blank that I have cut into. I really didn't know for sure what to expect since the outside of the blank looked very dark after it was stabilized, but once turned it is about the same color as the un-stabilized wood, maybe just a tad darker, but not much. Until I turned it and hit it with some Denatured Alcohol I was also a little worried that the nice contrast in the grain of the burl might be reduced and I think it might have been, but not too bad I think. Even with stabilizing there were a couple of surface voids that I had to build up with CA glue before sanding it down and finishing it.

Regards,
Dave

Several views of the same pen as it was rotated with the cap on and off.
IMG_1372 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1358 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1359 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1360 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1361 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1362 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1363 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

One thing I will say is to be careful with the DNA or any other chemical on the blank after it's turned. I have taken to only using compressed air as CA and some chemicals sometimes have a strange effect on each other leaving you with that mystery cloudy spot under the CA unless you make sure the DNA has COMPLETELY evaporated.

ramaroodle

My reason for saying what I said is that using compressed air instead of wiping it with ANYTHING means there is zero chance of a problem. You'll know what it's gonna look like as soon as you apply the first thin coat of CA or any finish so why chance it. I hate spending days making a blank and screwing it up in the last few minutes.

I've only been making pens for a few years but I've made lots of mistakes and this site has always helped me to correct them. Turning pens is crazy because there are as many techniques as there are pen turners that all work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom