First segmented vessel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

I finally did one. It took several tries and failures but managed to get the segments correct and lined up. The resulkt is the picture sown here. Materials are redwood base and top, walnut and maple feature ring. Height is approximately 7". Base is 1" rising to a width of 4". Comments and such welcomed.
Thanks.

Segmented vessel.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job, someday I'll try out segmented turning, and things like this are a nice reminder how nice those turnings can look.

juteck

I like the solid wood body and top with the complimenting accent ring. Your choice of woods are great! How stable is it with the small foot, or do you use something like QuakeHold to stabilize it?

ldubia

Very nice work Larry. I like the wood combinations and the form. Is the vessel hollowed out ?
Joe

The vessel is hollow and left with a bit of wood near the bottom to add weight for the tiny foot. The walls are about 1/4".

I like the solid wood body and top with the complimenting accent ring. Your choice of woods are great! How stable is it with the small foot, or do you use something like QuakeHold to stabilize it?

The small foot is not ideal but it gives a unique appearance to it. I have seen most with a wall tapering down to a small foot but never with a flare to the foot. I enjoyed doing that. The form is very UNSTABLE which is why the extra wood left in the bottom. I would add Quakehold or something to keep it stable.

Thanks for the comments. It was a challenge I have been wanting to try for some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom