First segmented that held together

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ambidex

Ambidex

Here my first actual finished segmented pen. It was for the military pith and was meant to replicate 1st lieutenant bars. I was happy till the final sanding and finishing. There's a dark ring under one of the aluminum segments and don't know why? Is it a slight gap in the glue up where the epoxy may be showing or something else? I thought perhaps I got it too warm when sanding and mm'ing but am not sure. Has anyone had this happen and figure out the issue? Thanks for looking and any and all help and c+c is welcome.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

I hate to be the one to tell you - but your Texas flag is wrong.

White goes on top!

thought on the "dark ring" - did you use CA or any sealer on the wood before you started sanding? My guess is that it's from sanding/polishing the aluminum.

TwoCatsPens

White goes on top!

thought on the "dark ring" - did you use CA or any sealer on the wood before you started sanding? My guess is that it's from sanding/polishing the aluminum.

That was the the very first thing that came to my mind... A bit of the aluminum got carried over into the wood.

Steve

Ambidex

White goes on top!

That was the the very first thing that came to my mind... A bit of the aluminum got carried over into the wood.

Steve

No I didn't use any sealer...that will prevent the aluminum from transferring to the wood? And OH CRAP about the flag:redface: I read that in the instructions and didn't really understand because there are two stars and depending on which way you look at it the white is on top. Or is that my warped way of thinking?:rolleyes:

Mike Powell

Depending on the way the wood is on the other side, but flags are viewed from left to right most of the time. So looking at it from left to right, it is upside down, a sign of duress.

Ambidex

Depending on the way the wood is on the other side, but flags are viewed from left to right most of the time. So looking at it from left to right, it is upside down, a sign of duress.

I see...thanks for the info...just happen to have another Texas flag kit and WILL correct...really feel bad as it was a pith pen...ah well, ignorance isn't always bliss:frown:

The Penguin

White goes on top!

Steve

No I didn't use any sealer...that will prevent the aluminum from transferring to the wood? And OH CRAP about the flag:redface: I read that in the instructions and didn't really understand because there are two stars and depending on which way you look at it the white is on top. Or is that my warped way of thinking?:rolleyes:

I had to look at all your pics several times to make sure what happened.

if you can imagine - the red/white section needs to be rotated 180º. This would put the flag in the correct orientation, with the star pointed up, and with the white section of the flag on top of the red.

Or as we teach the kids..."don't let the blood run into the purity"

The entire flag is not upside down - the star is pointed the right way. the red/white is upside down.

Top Bottom