Segmenting First segmented blanks from new jig.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Here's the first results from my new bandsaw jig. I'm pretty happy how they turned out. Of course, they aren't pens yet. We all know, that sometimes, they don't all make it.
IMG_1636.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

WOW !!! ... Beautiful !!!

Now, which of your multitude of new jigs did you use for THESE blanks !!!! ?? 😃 😷

Pretty soon you will be making a "career transition" !!

You will transition from being a pen-maker to being a blank-maker !!

We all know that is a more lucrative "career" !!! . And it happens to quite a few .... quite innocently !! .... perhaps even inadvertently !

I have dozens ( ... more ??? ) of blanks around here that are waiting to be turned into pens and probably never will be ... all $$ to IAP guys.
Think of all the $$$ tied up in those ... casually bought ... and with the best of intentions ...

Now, Ken, tell us as clearly as you can .... just how, exactly, did you make those ? ..... please !

Oh, I'm not intending to try to compete with you .... Honest !!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ken, you are doing incredible work, Kudos. I have an "inkling" ;) of the precision/alignment chores. All looks well. Keep up the great work.

Looking forward to the eventual pens.

KenB259

WOW !!! ... Beautiful !!!

Now, which of your multitude of new jigs did you use for THESE blanks !!!! ?? [emoji2] [emoji40]

Pretty soon you will be making a "career transition" !!

You will transition from being a pen-maker to being a blank-maker !!

We all know that is a more lucrative "career" !!! . And it happens to quite a few .... quite innocently !! .... perhaps even inadvertently !

I have dozens ( ... more ??? ) of blanks around here that are waiting to be turned into pens and probably never will be ... all $$ to IAP guys.
Think of all the $$$ tied up in those, casually bought ... and with the best of intentions ...

Now, Ken, tell us as clearly as you can .... just how, exactly, did you make those ? ..... please !

Mal, I used the same one I made the accidental Celtic knot on [emoji16]

magpens

Hmmmm ..... let me think ..... I must be forgetting which one that is !! :rolleyes:

I just can't keep up with you, Ken !!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am really stoked for the design, 2'nd from the left. While an easy modification, I have never played with this and look forward to the result. Very cool. After you get settled with these, play with 3 and 4 sided designs... Yea, the precision issues get multiplied, but hey, you're bored and house-locked right now 😜 . Have FUN!

KenB259

I am really stoked for the design, 2'nd from the left. While an easy modification, I have never played with this and look forward to the result. Very cool. After you get settled with these, play with 3 and 4 sided designs... Yea, the precision issues get multiplied, but hey, you're bored and house-locked right now [emoji12] . Have FUN!

3 and 4 sided designs are definitely something I want to try with these, already got a technique in mind.

magpens

Oh .... THAT one !

But I still haven't figured out how that one works !!

It'll probably come to me at 3 a.m. some morning !! .... while I am peeling the CA splatter off my forehead !!

magpens

3 and 4 sided designs are definitely something I want to try with these, already got a technique in mind.

OMG !! .... next we'll be talking about N-Dimensional Non-Euclidian Geometrical Transformations and the non-existence of TIME !!

I wish Einstein were still alive and a member of IAP. . He could figure this out !!

Kenny Durrant

First off your work is very impressive. I wish I could do things along that line and quality. Second I'm impressed with your jigs. If I see something I like no matter what it is if I see the word jig or fixture I put it down without batting an eye. I have a buddy that enjoys the "Extras" just as much as he does the project. Great work from the thought to the finish.

magpens

Thing is, about that jig ... it looks so perfect ... the holes are perfectly round with no tear-outs at the edges ... and they are perfectly spaced ...
... and in perfect alignment !! . And on top of that, Ken knows how to use it ... perfectly ... even above and beyond its original intended purpose !! ...
... and ... at least for now ... beyond our comprehension !!

Tell ya what ! ... This COVID-"inspired" isolation and social-distancing is surely resulting in some creative inspiration in the IAP circle !! 😷

KenB259

First off your work is very impressive. I wish I could do things along that line and quality. Second I'm impressed with your jigs. If I see something I like no matter what it is if I see the word jig or fixture I put it down without batting an eye. I have a buddy that enjoys the "Extras" just as much as he does the project. Great work from the thought to the finish.

I enjoy figuring out how to achieve a desired design, and how to make it repeatable. That more often than not requires a jig of some sort. Segmenting is what keeps me interested in pen making. One design pretty much always leads me in another direction, some work, some doesn't. That's what keeps it interesting. I look back at the first Celtic knot I tried to make, honestly I wish I had not thrown it away, but believe me it was a hot mess.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

KenB259

Thing is, about that jig ... it looks so perfect ... the holes are perfectly round with no tear-outs at the edges ... and they are perfectly spaced ...
... and in perfect alignment !! . And on top of that, Ken knows how to use it ... perfectly ... even above and beyond its original intended purpose !! ...
... and ... at least for now ... beyond our comprehension !!

Tell ya what ! ... This COVID-"inspired" isolation and social-distancing is surely resulting in some creative inspiration in the IAP circle !! [emoji40]

Well, I'm kind of a perfectionist, but that jig is very easy, drill press,with a fence and as far as the even spacing , that was just a piece of 3/4 scrap used to measure the stop distance between each hole, drilled with a 1 inch Forster bit. Again, easy peasy.

jttheclockman

Wow to be able to get all those designs from that simple jig is pretty amazing. Looks like you are having some fun. Keep up the great work. always look forward to see what new things you come up with.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh .... THAT one !

But I still haven't figured out how that one works !!

It'll probably come to me at 3 a.m. some morning !! .... while I am peeling the CA splatter off my forehead !!

Mal, I'm absolutely convinced he's just messing with our heads. I think his new fandangled jiggery thingy is just a ruse........ :mad:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ken, those are SO COOL!!!!

Now I can toss a bunch of my jigs and make some new ones.

Thanks for sharing the process. (Now get back to work). ;)

jttheclockman

That is very ingenious. Have a blank Idea I had in my head for a long time and this may answer how I can do it. Will give this a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Will you be showing other videos with this jig?? Like to see what all the holes can do. Is this a jig you thought of or have you seen something like this somewhere??

KenB259

That is very ingenious. Have a blank Idea I had in my head for a long time and this may answer how I can do it. Will give this a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Will you be showing other videos with this jig?? Like to see what all the holes can do. Is this a jig you thought of or have you seen something like this somewhere??

John the different holes pretty much just let me change the angle of cut. I had not seen another jig like this , it's just something I dreamed up. Wasn't planning on other videos. There's probably more I can do with it, if I discover any ill post the results. Hopefully if anyone tries this jig they will post their results as well.

jttheclockman

John the different holes pretty much just let me change the angle of cut. I had not seen another jig like this , it's just something I dreamed up. Wasn't planning on other videos. There's probably more I can do with it, if I discover any ill post the results. Hopefully if anyone tries this jig they will post their results as well.

Thanks If and when I get to the blank I want to try and maybe incorporate this jig or build something off that design I will be sure to show it. Not sure I will get to it this year. I have about a month and a half before I change over to my scrollsawing. So not sure how many more pens I can get done. Have not been in shop for 2 days. Back is killing me. I do like what you are doing. Hope people are documenting and hope others are getting the juices flowing and maybe we see segmenting really take off. Good to have a few segmenters contributing but sure there is so many other ideas. I am watching a professional turner do some fantastic work right now and some of the things he is doing can translate to pens I am hoping. But this guy is a master without question and his work is unreachable for me. Sometimes it is mind boggling what people can think of and do.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Glad you like it. Can't wait to see what "improvements" you come up with. I told you it was very simple.

Not an improvement, but please do a blank with different angles. Similar to what Jason (Aces-High) does with his blanks. You may want to consider a jig where the holes overlap, giving closer angles. I'm out of town, so I can just be a cheerleader. ;) But I agree with Charlie (Dieseldoc), this is an awesome jig.

KenB259

Not an improvement, but please do a blank with different angles. Similar to what Jason (Aces-High) does with his blanks. You may want to consider a jig where the holes overlap, giving closer angles. I'm out of town, so I can just be a cheerleader. ;) But I agree with Charlie (Dieseldoc), this is an awesome jig.

Mark, I have failed to adequately describe how to change the angle of cut. If you are cutting as I was in the video, the holes will just change the location of the cut, as I was using it in the video, the holes, more or less just accommodate shorter blanks. Now if you want to make cuts at differing angles, you just need to lay the blank parallel to the side without holes. Then when you change holes, you change the angle of cut. The holes come in handy when you are doing your initial setup in correlation with location of the pivot point. It's a very fun jig to just play with.

KenB259

One more thing, as far as making one with overlapping holes, it could be done, but I think an easier option is just make spacers of differing widths. That way the cuts could be different angles and start out equally spaced at their start point.

Top Bottom