First Sedona 'Stunning" Silver & Calypso Lava Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

This was my first Lava blank too. This really did turn liked butter (almost spread it on my toast :)) The blank is opaque. I did add several coats of CA. The cap I used Mercury Flex and the lower barrel, I used Gluboost (I just happen to grab the other CA; I did you the appropriate accelerator for each). For the life of me I can't get away with using as little GB accelerator as others state and demonstrate. I own 4 humility and temperature measuring devices (which I bought just to solve this mystery) , two different brands. The humidity ranges from 40 to 45% in the winter and 50 to 55% in the summer in my shop. Anyway, most of my clients are women and thought this would be easier for them to handle than the Jr Gents. Have a great day!

Attachments

• Sedona Silver Calypso Lava.jpg
    Sedona Silver Calypso Lava.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice work, Tony !!

I did not recognize it at first as a Sedona, because the picture background obscures the rounded shape of the cap's finial.

I certainly love that blank ... where did you get it, please ?

TonyL

Very nice work, Tony !!

I did not recognize it at first as a Sedona, because the picture background obscures the rounded shape of the cap's finial.

I certainly love that blank ... where did you get it, please ?
You are right. I bought all from Exotic Blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It certainly turned out to be a great pen, Tony!! Your shine is fantastic!!
Don't spread it on your toast, though, it looks MUCH BETTER than it tastes!! ;) ;)

As Tony says in the title, the blank is Color Explosion #15-Calypso. Like most of the "lava" blanks, it is pretty opaque so there is no need to paint the tube or the hole.

TonyL

Beautiful pen Tony! Haven't used glu boost yet. Do you like it?
I go back and forth between GB and Mercury Flex; I keep both on hand. If I was able to get away with using less accelerator as demonstrated, I would prefer GB, but not by much. I definitely prefer it on my guitar repairs, because that is what it is designed for. However, I think Mercury flex works just as well as it more practical for me (cures more quickly, use less accelerator - remember this just my experience).

I have started using 2 coats of thin, 4 coats of medium, and two coats of thin (I think, but have no proof) that it levels out some of the lines/texture caused by the paper towel. This could all be in my head. Separately, I don't use either for gluing tubes into wood. I use stickfast medium for wood blanks (and epoxy for mixed materials and non woods).

Enjoy mt friend!

TonyL

It certainly turned out to be a great pen, Tony!! Your shine is fantastic!!
Don't spread it on your toast, though, it looks MUCH BETTER than it tastes!! ;) ;)

As Tony says in the title, the blank is Color Explosion #15-Calypso. Like most of the "lava" blanks, it is pretty opaque so there is no need to paint the tube or the hole.
Thanks Ed! They really are easy to turn with carbide or HSS. And I love that I don't have to paint anything.

Bean_Counter

I go back and forth between GB and Mercury Flex; I keep both on hand. If I was able to get away with using less accelerator as demonstrated, I would prefer GB, but not by much. I definitely prefer it on my guitar repairs, because that is what it is designed for. However, I think Mercury flex works just as well as it more practical for me (cures more quickly, use less accelerator - remember this just my experience).

I have started using 2 coats of thin, 4 coats of medium, and two coats of thin (I think, but have no proof) that it levels out some of the lines/texture caused by the paper towel. This could all be in my head. Separately, I don't use either for gluing tubes into wood. I use stickfast medium for wood blanks (and epoxy for mixed materials and non woods).

Enjoy mt friend!

Thanks for the honest input. I moved from 2P-10 to mercury flex and have really enjoyed it. I've seen The glu boost and wasn't sure about dropping the coin to try it. Happy 4th Tony.

PenHog

Really nice, Tony!

I've never used Gluboost, although I've seen several people sing its praises on this site, perhaps I should give it a try. For acrylics, if I can get away without using any CA, I try not to, out of sheer laziness on my part.

TonyL

Great looking pen. One question. Why do you use CA over acrylic? I haven't turned much acrylic.
I usually do not. I started doing this about 6 months ago on non-wood pens that I want to more permanently protect the finish - primarily my own every day use pens. I even applied it on top of M3. It is not necessary.

TonyL

Really nice, Tony!

I've never used Gluboost, although I've seen several people sing its praises on this site, perhaps I should give it a try. For acrylics, if I can get away without using any CA, I try not to, out of sheer laziness on my part.
I like GB; I just have to use a lot more accelerator than most. I use GB or mercury adhesives. I also used many others without problems.

Top Bottom