First Seam Ripper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

This is the PSI seam ripper in chrome, purchased at Rockler. The blank is called Purple Passion, and is also from Rockler. I made this for my daughter-in-law who loves purple. I really like the blank, but the quality of the kit is suspect. Nothing specific, but just doesn't have a "quality" feel to it. Getting the springs into the ends of the tube was more than a little fiddly. But it's together, and looks good. I think she'll like it.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

The blank appeared quite translucent, so I didn't take any chances. I back painted it, painted the tube, and colored the epoxy.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 145
Nice ripper Jim. I sell a lot of these exact rippers and they can be troublesome at times, especially the retaining springs. But you did a great job on this one and I'm sure your daughter in law will love it.

Kenny Durrant

Nice! There was another thread on the springs. Some are better than others but they all are lacking somewhat. The best way I've come up with is to use one of the points to help push the spring in the tube.

Kenny Durrant

Looks like the ones Woodcraft carries. I haven't tried that style not because of the o-rings but I like the ripper with the two different tools. Funny as I wrote that I thought I've never used one so what would I know. Ha Ha

MTViper

Good job on the seam ripper. Love the color.

I've made a bunch of both brands (PSI & Berea) seam rippers and I'm back to being more of a PSI fan.

The original PSI kits (like the one you got from Rockler) had a spring that was a little over half the length of the one in the current kits. There was nothing to seat the springs and the would push down in the tube sometimes and would not hold the ripper. The longer springs seem to push against each other if you make the double like you did. This keeps them in place and working.

One other thing on the PSI kits, they offer a stiletto replacement point and needle threader kits. I've started making these in pairs. One would have a seam ripper on one end and a stiletto on the other. The second would have a seam ripper and a needle threader. That way you will usually sell two instead of one.

On the Berea kit, the O-rings provide positive hold, but if the user regularly takes it out and puts it back into the handle, the O-rings will wear and fall off. I stocked up on replacement O-rings and usually give a small plastic bag with 4 rings to every customer. The O-rings are a pain to get on too.

One thing I learned from my wife the quilter is that if your customers are older, make them wider. Older hands can't grip a pen blank comfortably for very long. The other lesson I learned is to leave one side flat. If you make it round, it rolls off the table or sewing machine. Good luck with them. They are fun to make.

Steve

More4dan

Very nice work! My cousin owns a Quilting Store and she tells me the PSI seam rippers are the best and sharpest she has every found. She will be happy.

Danny

Top Bottom