First Rings, bentwood/turned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodchick

woodchick

Hi All,
It has been a while! I recently got the urge to try bentwood rings again, this time with a bit of success (and many failures). Pictured are two that mostly worked. The finish, as ever, is very much a work in progress. I used the Sauer hobby pack veneers, so nothing is labeled and everything smells like walnut or mahogany ;). For these two I know the liner is plain maple on the dark one and a very chatoyant dark wood on the outside. The larger ring is maple burl on the outside, not sure about the liner. Not happy with the finish, using a CA brand that's new to me, so working out the kinks and it was a humid weekend and I see some bloom under the finish. That said, it was a fun and sticky process. After boiling and initially bending the strips, I tapered the ends and first rolled two rounds of liner followed by 2-3 rounds of the outer wood. Once dry, I used a set of soft jaws (Dreamwood Rings, 3d printed, fits Nova chucks) on the lathe to even up the outer edge and turned and sanded the inside to a comfort fit. (I should have also done the inside finish at that stage). Then placed on a mandrel and evened and shaped the outside and finished with CA. I made the mistake of finishing the inside afterwards and made a dent in the outside by using the soft jaws to hold the ring. Lesson learned. Anyway, I have lots to play with!:)
Thanks for looking,
Maria

IMG_7198.JPGIMG_7201.jpgIMG_7216.jpg

WoodaCoulda

Hi All,
It has been a while! I recently got the urge to try bentwood rings again, this time with a bit of success (and many failures). Pictured are two that mostly worked. The finish, as ever, is very much a work in progress. I used the Sauer hobby pack veneers, so nothing is labeled and everything smells like walnut or mahogany ;). For these two I know the liner is plain maple on the dark one and a very chatoyant dark wood on the outside. The larger ring is maple burl on the outside, not sure about the liner. Not happy with the finish, using a CA brand that's new to me, so working out the kinks and it was a humid weekend and I see some bloom under the finish. That said, it was a fun and sticky process. After boiling and initially bending the strips, I tapered the ends and first rolled two rounds of liner followed by 2-3 rounds of the outer wood. Once dry, I used a set of soft jaws (Dreamwood Rings, 3d printed, fits Nova chucks) on the lathe to even up the outer edge and turned and sanded the inside to a comfort fit. (I should have also done the inside finish at that stage). Then placed on a mandrel and evened and shaped the outside and finished with CA. I made the mistake of finishing the inside afterwards and made a dent in the outside by using the soft jaws to hold the ring. Lesson learned. Anyway, I have lots to play with!:)
Thanks for looking,
Maria

View attachment 317730View attachment 317731View attachment 317732

Those ring look nice! What brand/type of lathe chisels are you using?

woodchick

Thanks, I have a Nova 1624-44 lathe. Used either regular spindle gouge/skews or carbide tools depending on which step I was on. I have the artisan chuck, but that works better for metal core rings; it's hard to turn the sides with the bentwood, so now I try to do that step using the soft jaws pictured above.

Top Bottom