First real casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TDahl

TDahl

This is one of my first attempts in creating multi-color resin pen blanks. I used Alumilite Clear Slow. To get the green color I combined opaque green dye, green translucent dye (actually blue and yellow mixed together), and spring green mica powder. The white is a combination of opaque dye and micro pearl powder to get some depth. The other colors used were Flamingo Pink, Duo blue green, and bright yellow mica powders. I mixed the colors in the "A" side resin to make sure I got the color combinations I was looking for, and then added the "B" side. I am happy with the way the colors turned out, but I would like to get some tighter swirls.

I attached a couple photos of the blanks right after they came out of the mold along with photos of three pens I made from the blanks.

One important note is that I poured the resin into the forms between the 13 and 14 minute mark, and the temperatures were only in the high 80s and low 90s. A couple things I am looking at are how premixing colors in part "A", and mixing small quantities affects resin temperature.

As always questions, comments, and especially critiques are not only welcome, but encouraged (that is how we learn!)

Attachments

• IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5528.jpg
    IMG_5528.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5536.jpg
    IMG_5536.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5534.jpg
    IMG_5534.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_5798.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5799.jpg
    IMG_5799.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 117
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I think you're off to a good start! I never worry about the time and instead watch the temperature. I like to pour my resin around 100-115 degrees and usually use "clear" or "white". Since you're using "slow" you may want to wait more towards the 115. To get tighter swirl you may want to pour from a spout and not a rounded cup edge so you can control the stream a little more. Playing around with divided cups with multiple colors in each chamber may also be an option. It's always harder to get character in single tube blank molds compared to a large block you cut into blanks. That gives you more room to manipulate the resin colors. There are many ways to change up the characteristics of your pours…Vertical vs horizontal, pour over or through objects, the distance the resin is over the mold, alternating directions of each color, and so on… Have fun playing and be sure to take notes on your results so you can reproduce them. Looking forward to seeing more of your success!

TDahl

I think you're off to a good start! I never worry about the time and instead watch the temperature. I like to pour my resin around 100-115 degrees and usually use "clear" or "white". Since you're using "slow" you may want to wait more towards the 115. To get tighter swirl you may want to pour from a spout and not a rounded cup edge so you can control the stream a little more. Playing around with divided cups with multiple colors in each chamber may also be an option. It's always harder to get character in single tube blank molds compared to a large block you cut into blanks. That gives you more room to manipulate the resin colors. There are many ways to change up the characteristics of your pours…Vertical vs horizontal, pour over or through objects, the distance the resin is over the mold, alternating directions of each color, and so on… Have fun playing and be sure to take notes on your results so you can reproduce them. Looking forward to seeing more of your success!
Thanks for the comments John. I will try your recommendations moving forward.

sorcerertd

They look great. While I understand why you would want tighter swirls, the design you have looks especially good on the Jr. with the smooth, straight barrels. It gives a nice visual flow from end to end and the patterns are matched up nicely when closed. Can't wait to see the next batch.

TDahl

They look great. While I understand why you would want tighter swirls, the design you have looks especially good on the Jr. with the smooth, straight barrels. It gives a nice visual flow from end to end and the patterns are matched up nicely when closed. Can't wait to see the next batch.
Thank you for the kind comments Todd.

Also be careful mixing the colors in the tubes. Too much can cause all of them to blend together and turn into mud. Be careful of going down the casting rabbit hole, it's a lot of fun but you will end up with more blanks than you know what to do with.

Top Bottom