First Razor Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewboy22

Drewboy22

I needed to think of something for my dad for his B-day, which is coming up in a few weeks. I know easy right? A pen perhaps? Nah, too easy. I made a pen awhile a week or so ago and he really liked the wood I used. That wood was Cocobolo. I had a few pieces left from some other kits and I thought, "Why not a new razor stand and Razor?" I purchased the razor and stand from Wood Turners Catalog and found a couple really nice pieces of Cocobolo. I used my gouge to get then to size and sanded from there. CA finish with some Hut Polish. Enjoy :wink:

20151018_182435_resized_zpsqrfwotz1.jpg

20151018_182443_resized_zps7yly651s.jpg

20151019_174540_resized_zps1f2sfwrj.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Looks great!

I hope you made sure to seal the ends of the blanks with CA as well, as razors tend to get wet on a regular basis!

magpens

Nice looking set !! . I bought a similar set a while ago ... trouble getting blades for it ... I suppose I might have to try a razor shop.

Drewboy22

Thanks for the comments

Looks great!

I hope you made sure to seal the ends of the blanks with CA as well, as razors tend to get wet on a regular basis!

Lol, Skie - I sure did. I was skeptical of using wood because of that but he really liked that Cocobolo.

Nice looking set !! . I bought a similar set a while ago ... trouble getting blades for it ... I suppose I might have to try a razor shop.

I am finding this out. You can find them all of the interwebs but locally they are pretty scarce. I would have thought Walmart - but sadly, No :frown:

rtyler8140

Thanks for the comments

Looks great!

Lol, Skie - I sure did. I was skeptical of using wood because of that but he really liked that Cocobolo.

I am finding this out. You can find them all of the interwebs but locally they are pretty scarce. I would have thought Walmart - but sadly, No :frown:

Ebay is a great place to buy the blades. Can get multi-packs to find which blade you like best. I like the Lord Platinums. As for the finish on razor handles, I use Helmsman Spar Urethane Varnish by Minwax (you can get it at lowes or home depot). I used it on a wood dog dish holder for my dog and I figure if it can hold up to his water slobber for 2 years and still look brand new it should work fine for a razor handle. I like to do 3-4 coats over the span of as many days. Just my .02

Drewboy22

Thanks for the comments

Looks great!

Ebay is a great place to buy the blades. Can get multi-packs to find which blade you like best. I like the Lord Platinums. As for the finish on razor handles, I use Helmsman Spar Urethane Varnish by Minwax (you can get it at lowes or home depot). I used it on a wood dog dish holder for my dog and I figure if it can hold up to his water slobber for 2 years and still look brand new it should work fine for a razor handle. I like to do 3-4 coats over the span of as many days. Just my .02

I have been looking at amazon and they have the variety packs also.

I will have to look into that varnish and check it out. Thanks :)

I buy double edge safety razor blades at Walgreens all the time.

That was on my list of places to check this weekend. Hopefully our local has them and I can quit looking. ha ha ha

WillinSEMN

Nice looking razor, Drew. Thanks for sharing.

I bought a kit to make for my father for Christmas (olive wood & chrome). I'll be sure to post a photo. Was helpful to see your tips.

Drewboy22

Thanks for the comments :)

Nice looking razor set! I'm sure your Dad will enjoy using that set!

He did :) He never thought about something like that, so it kinda blew him mind.

Nice looking razor, Drew. Thanks for sharing.

I bought a kit to make for my father for Christmas (olive wood & chrome). I'll be sure to post a photo. Was helpful to see your tips.

Seal the ends of your wood with CA before you wetsand. I put about 3 or 4 coats of ca on the end (just dripped the CA on a paper towel and dabbed the end of the blank in it.)

Good luck :)

Top Bottom