First Pyrography On Paper Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Got the pattern scanned in and lightened way down from original thanks to the excellent help from Tom in Lindsay, Ontario and printed it out onto poster paper.

Found it required a lot of heat and was hit and miss burning until I discovered it was being caused by using the finished side of the poster paper. Turned it over to the dull side and found a big improvement and was able to gradually reduce heat from 8 out of 10 to 6 out of 10 and will probably go lower with more practice.
Been some time since my last burnings and they were always on wood so had to remember some of the do's and don'ts and apply the same techniques to paper. . One important one is to always approach the piece by coming in with a sweeping motion much like an airplane landing . That part soon came back to me as can be seen on the top flower thingy . Lots of burn blobs on the top one from not moving the burner tip immediately upon contact. The lower one was better after practicing the right approach.

Just started this one, I think the girls hair will be the worst challenge but will see how that goes . Here is the start of a work in progress.

BurnStart.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Well, I got the burning done . That was fun.
Now I will try coloring it and that could really mess it up . .lol

BWBurn.jpg

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great job, and thanks for showing a method to develop the techniques needed to do this on wood

W.Y.

Great job, and thanks for showing a method to develop the techniques needed to do this on wood

Yes, it is normally done on wood like I have done quite a few several years ago but this one was my first one done on paper and I like the advantages of doing it that way.

Well, apart from framing it , I have it up to this point.

Took about an hour of burning and another hour of coloring .

Picture really doesn't do it justice compared to looking at it from a slight distance as the way most pieces of art are best viewed.

I did a little practice on blending colors this time as in the flowers where they are red/orange at the bottom fading up to orange and into yellow as well as some fading in other areas.

ColoredBurnFeb12010.jpg

opfoto

William....

Very nice burn.

I have a Optima dual, but I haven't had a lot of practice with it. Am still figuring out how to takeoff/land my plane. I have been playing connect the dots......

Top Bottom