First post and entry on new site.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
9,985
Location
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I really like that pen !!!

It appears to be a 3D image of a violin and bow. . I am wondering how you polish the surface ... if you do any sanding that could degrade the elevated image ... and if you apply a finish like CA or Wipe-On Poly that could accumulate in the "cavities" and possibly not look nice.

Could you please elaborate. Thanks in advance.
 

smik

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
150
Location
Ohio
I really like that pen !!!

It appears to be a 3D image of a violin and bow. . I am wondering how you polish the surface ... if you do any sanding that could degrade the elevated image ... and if you apply a finish like CA or Wipe-On Poly that could accumulate in the "cavities" and possibly not look nice.

Could you please elaborate. Thanks in advance.
Thanks.
I use Behlens flat spray lacquer(currently rattle can). I built a spray booth using a barbecue motor for rotation, and exhaust out a basement window. Aprox 5 coats with 1-2 seal coats. I hit it with 0000 steel wool after a few days of drying. The violin pattern doesn't have the cavities so the steel wool worked well. I do have to be careful regarding degradation, but it all depends on the pattern. I'm still working out the finishing technique it is a pain with the raised design. Recently I started experimenting with casting. I have one blank I made awhile back, it was considered scrap and I covered it with liquid diamonds. It's an inlay design not raised design. I will post later today. I am trying to design patterns that will be able to show enough detail and provide a 3d effect under alumilite or liquid diamonds to make it easier for finishing.
 

smik

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
150
Location
Ohio
This is a design for the Game of Thrones crowd. Only a preview image. This one I'm planning on covering with Liquid Diamonds.
 

Attachments

smik

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
150
Location
Ohio
Thanks.
I use Behlens flat spray lacquer(currently rattle can). I built a spray booth using a barbecue motor for rotation, and exhaust out a basement window. Aprox 5 coats with 1-2 seal coats. I hit it with 0000 steel wool after a few days of drying. The violin pattern doesn't have the cavities so the steel wool worked well. I do have to be careful regarding degradation, but it all depends on the pattern. I'm still working out the finishing technique it is a pain with the raised design. Recently I started experimenting with casting. I have one blank I made awhile back, it was considered scrap and I covered it with liquid diamonds. It's an inlay design not raised design. I will post later today. I am trying to design patterns that will be able to show enough detail and provide a 3d effect under alumilite or liquid diamonds to make it easier for finishing.
First image is the LD's covered blank. Inlay is envirotex-lite. 2nd blank is what it looks like off the machine with a quick swipe of steel wool. Being maple it has a tendency of feathering and I will hit some of the edges with 3m bristle discs.
 

Attachments

Top Bottom