First pictures with a light tent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monstersdad99

These are a couple of my first attempts with a light tent. I am using a Nikon Cool Pix P90. It isn't a DSLR it is in the "super zoom" class of cameras. The first two pictures are a mesa pen in Eucalyptus burl and the last two are a Gatsby pen in cocobolo.
I appreciate your constructive feedback.

Attachments

• DSCN4111 (2).jpg
    DSCN4111 (2).jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCN4113 (2).jpg
    DSCN4113 (2).jpg
    198 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN4122.jpg
    DSCN4122.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN4124.jpg
    DSCN4124.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 342
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Very nice. I am not an expert on this topic, but here are my comments: Pictures 3 and 4 have better lighting exposure on the base to show the edges of the black hardware, so that is good, but the glare washes out the wood a little. I use HDR to help with that.

monstersdad99

Very nice. I am not an expert on this topic, but here are my comments: Pictures 3 and 4 have better lighting exposure on the base to show the edges of the black hardware, so that is good, but the glare washes out the wood a little. I use HDR to help with that.

What is HDR?

76winger

Very Nice! I like the low lighting on the right side, it really brings out the 3-D qualities of the pens as well as the prop.

sbell111

My preference is for a white background. Also, the dust in the pics is distracting to me. I find that a fabric background allows me to manage dust better and eliminates reflection.

BSea

Those are very good. If i would suggest anything, is would be to use a lighter background. It's a little hard to see the black parts of the pen. But the wood grain really pops against the black background. I use a piece of black plexiglass when I want a black background. I normally use a gray background. I got a piece of gray foam board from Michaels that works great.

What is HDR?

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. In simple terms, it brings out the detail in shadows. Many newer point & shoot cameras have this feature. It's even on the iphone 4s and later. Maybe earlier too. HDR might help give better definition of the black parts against the black background.

Last edited:

monstersdad99

Those are very good. If i would suggest anything, is would be to use a lighter background. It's a little hard to see the black parts of the pen. But the wood grain really pops against the black background. I use a piece of black plexiglass when I want a black background. I normally use a gray background. I got a piece of gray foam board from Michaels that works great.

What is HDR?

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. In simple terms, it brings out the detail in shadows. Many newer point & shoot cameras have this feature. It's even on the iphone 4s and later. Maybe earlier too. HDR might help give better definition of the black parts against the black background.

Thanks for the advice

G1Pens

Overall, pretty good. The purpose of a light tent is to remove possible reflections and provide even lighting. That said, your light is much stronger from the right. This is causing a hot spot on the pen. Play with moving the lights around and try to better distribute the lighting.

As others have mentioned a lighter background would help. Try a neutral grey.

Also as others have mentioned, you need some editing software to get those dust spots out.

farmer

CPL

These are a couple of my first attempts with a light tent. I am using a Nikon Cool Pix P90. It isn't a DSLR it is in the "super zoom" class of cameras. The first two pictures are a mesa pen in Eucalyptus burl and the last two are a Gatsby pen in cocobolo.
I appreciate your constructive feedback.

Can you put a CPL on that camera ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vvz_d6APXk
If so buy one if it doesn't work out for pen photography it is a must to have for outdoor photography.

Pens looks small, hard to see any details

Farmer

Top Bottom