First Pen Using Camaru Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This is number one with Camaru wood and I have to see this is gorgeous wood. Looks a lot like highly figured olive wood and smells like vanilla when you cut it. Turns like a dream. This one's a Gatsby, gun metal and chrome. End caps are zircote with a thin line of orange veneer. Comments and constructive critiques always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3909.jpeg
    IMG_3909.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3908.jpeg
    IMG_3908.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Very nice!

We were just at an art fair and a guy used this wood as a handle on a high end fillet knife. Beautiful wood.

Alan Morrison

That's a new timber to me, Ken. Apparently Cumaru is also known as Tonka Bean which I have heard of but still have not come across.
It looks a lovely timber and I like what you have done with it.

KMCloonan

Very nice wood Ken. Great looking pen. As mentioned above, the end caps always add a touch of sophistication.

That said, my only critique is more of a personal preference than a critique, but I think the orange veneer gets lost against the orange Camaru. A divider with a little more contrast or a spot of color (maybe dark green, red, or even a white divider) would further accentuate the end caps.

jttheclockman

Very nice wood Ken. Great looking pen. As mentioned above, the end caps always add a touch of sophistication.

That said, my only critique is more of a personal preference than a critique, but I think the orange veneer gets lost against the orange Camaru. A divider with a little more contrast or a spot of color (maybe dark green, red, or even a white divider) would further accentuate the end caps.
I too agree with this statement. My suggestion would have been to split the end caps and insert the orange stripe between the 2 layers.

sorcerertd

I looked it up and, for those that didn't want to, but are curious, here's a link. Looks like another common name for it is Brazilian Teak

From the looks, I'd guess that's a CA finish (very nicely done, BTW). The database lists it as an oily wood. Did you wipe it with Acetone or DNA?

KenB259

I looked it up and, for those that didn't want to, but are curious, here's a link. Looks like another common name for it is Brazilian Teak

From the looks, I'd guess that's a CA finish (very nicely done, BTW). The database lists it as an oily wood. Did you wipe it with Acetone or DNA?
Yes a CA finish, GluBoost to be exact. I did wipe it down with DNA before finishing.

Top Bottom