First pen of 2010 Sierra clone in Sterling silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This is the first pen I have done this year. Ok ho hum....But its also the first non wood pen I have ever made. I received this blank in a trade with Zach Wheat, (wheaties) Its an Ancient Mars from Exotic Blanks. I had seen several pens made with this blank and it really caught my eye. I was really pleased when it showed up in the box Zach sent me as his part of the trade. I used the Sierra transmission and the over all design of the Sierra as my start. I made the Parts in Stering Silver. Turning the blank to size as I went, no bushings. Micro meshed to 12,000 buffed w WHite Diamond. IF you look closely at the parts you will see a brass pin in the cap, this pin is used to lock the clip in place so it wont spin. Im really pleased with the design and my wife is eyeing the pen already. I promised her a pen after she could have the one I made to give in the pith event. I would change two things for the next pen of this style. I would add the textured ring to the top of the nib to tie it into the design and I would make the cap without a step above the textured ring, bringing the angle right out to the top of the textured area. I really enjoyed getting a chance to make a pen again, it has been a while since I did an as built. Thats make the pen as I make the parts. I also really enjoyed using a pr blank and have ordered a few more. So begins my journey to the dark side. LOL. I have several parts ready to make pens I plan on makeing a cigar style I have a euro style I have modified I like to make as well I will post them as i get them made. Parts to make pens are available for sale if you need something to use on your own or I will be setting them up as kits as I get the kinks worked out. I am working on other designs as well as setting up a web site for sales. Thaks for looking and comments, good or as constructive critisism are welcome. MIke

Attachments

• DSC_0156-1.JPG
    DSC_0156-1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0158-1.JPG
    DSC_0158-1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0159-1.JPG
    DSC_0159-1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0160-1.JPG
    DSC_0160-1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0161-1.JPG
    DSC_0161-1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

Great looking pen.

And to have a master penmaker like skiprat give it a thumbs up is high praise indeed.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Back in the late 90s I worked as a bench repair jeweler and had a spot at the local flea market selling jewelry and doing repairs while you waited. I had started turning pens as a hobby and made a half a dozen slimlines and a couple of euros. I didnt like the kits so i started making my own pen parts. Life kind of got in the way and I havent turned anything up until the latest pith exchange. I have spent the last three months working on pen parts and designs. I have the tools and skills to cast my own parts. Silver is relatively cheap. It has some drawbacks production wise because its difficult to maintain tolerances in the casting proccess. I end up casting the part and then returning them to true them up. Im getting better at it though.

Last edited:

mickr

:)Mike, thanks for sharing this grand pen..your custom work is just wonderful..please find time to make more & share them with us...this sure raises the bar!:)

greggas

Great job...ancient mars is a fun PR to work with. I would be very interested in purchasing custom parts as I have yet to have a chance to try casting them myself...maybe some day.

Keep it up

greg

broitblat

That is really nice. Just the combination of the ancient mars with the sterling is pretty nice to start with, but your designs (and implementation) for the sterling parts really puts it over the top.

-Barry

Top Bottom