First pen in a while!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodchipper

Woodchipper

Been out of the loop pursuing other things and got a "order" for a baseball pen plus the wife suggested two baseball pens for two grandsons. Here is the first for some friends. Either a birthday present or Christmas present (nothing like planning ahead). The blank is the first alumilite I have turned. Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks have been most helpful (Thanks!). I wanted this to be a quality pen and with a long delay, a carefully planned turning. OK, this morning, I was leery of hitting the bushings with the tools. I wrapped one turn of masking tape over the bushings and nylon spacers to take up room when turning one blank. When I hit the tape, it was time to remove the tape and cut lightly and cautiously. Drum roll, please. The fit and finish came out the best of any pen I have turned. When I finished turning ad went through the MM pads, I noticed a tiny scratch and a dimple in the blank. I figure the dimple was in the original casting as it didn't show up before turning. The scratch was minute and light turning a small place eliminated both. Take a look and any criticism is welcome. I can take criticism...I'm married.
Lighting wasn't the best; blank is white with black figures and kit has chrome components.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 123
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Mark, thanks for the kind words. I was really uptight with this pen. Being out of the loop for any kind of turning was almost like starting over. I found myself stopping to think about what I'm doing, sequence of operations, etc.

KenB259

Looks good. I didn't realize that pen was a bolt action, people seem to like that kind of activation. Nice job, I'm sure they will all be treasured.

Top Bottom