First Pen I'm Willing to Show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from goldendj

goldendj

Been slowly learning how to do this in stages--basic turning, assembly, friction polish, and finally CA finish. Here's the first pen I'm willing to show off, very slyly placed to obscure flaws. Obviously from the dust, my photography skills need to improve as well ...

IMG_0015_edited_wm.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hmmm - VERY nicely done. Walnut, right? One of my personal favorites, but that has nothing to do with my being impressed. The turning looks great - the places where the different materials meet look nicely aligned. The CA finish - well, I'm thinking you could give classes (maybe that's too much 'cause it's sure to ignite a war here :p). I like the shape, too. Bulbous pens don't get me. This one does.
One "attaboy" for goldendj.

goldendj

Thanks! Yes, it's walnut--got it from Amazon when I was first stocking up to start getting the dust off the lathe. Finish is tung oil followed by CA.

goldendj

That's an insane color. What friction polish/method did you use?
It's highly-figured walnut off Amazon, sanded to 400grit, tung oil, about a dozen coats of medium CA, sanded at 400 grit again until all shiny spots gone, then Micro Mesh.

goldendj

It's highly-figured walnut off Amazon, sanded to 400grit, tung oil, about a dozen coats of medium CA, sanded at 400 grit again until all shiny spots gone, then Micro Mesh
Forgot one step--after sanding CA until all shiny spots gone added several more coats of CA, sanded again with 400 grit, and THEN micromesh

Top Bottom