First Pen from Pour #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is the first pen from yesterday's vertical pour, my 3rd pour, (See the raw blanks here) of Alumilite Clear Slow. It turned out much better on the inside than I had hoped based on how the blanks looked right out of the mold. The colors swirled together pretty good while still staying separated. The kit is a Gunmetal Magnetic Rollerball from Crooked Mill. The turned result gives me high hopes for the other 5 blanks from the pour (I was afraid the Red was going to be too overpowering as I thought it would be a more muted, rust color instead of being so vibrant).

Of course there is a depth to the colors and shimmer that just doesn't come through in the pictures.

Dave

IMG_3840 Cropped.jpg

Click on Thumbnails to Zoom-In
IMG_3832 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3833 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3834 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3835 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3836 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3837 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I really am having a great time. Exotic Blanks just shipped out another 20 jars of Eye Candy pigments to me. That means I'm going to run out of resin next week. It's a good thing I get my allowance next Friday. - Dave
I have plans to go down this rabbit hole eventually, it's fun watching you. I'm sure I'll be Eye Candy broke, there are SO many colors. đŸ˜‚

KMCloonan

All of your pours look excellent Dave. Great color separation. May I ask, at what resin temperature are you starting the actual pour?

I also like the splashes of red in pour #3. I too had some russet mica powder, and mine stayed the muted rust color, so I ended up buying some berry red alumilite dye to get the true red color for some of my pours.

derekdd

Wow, that looks great, Dave.

I thought those blanks were the least interesting of your three, but not anymore.

egnald

All of your pours look excellent Dave. Great color separation. May I ask, at what resin temperature are you starting the actual pour?

I also like the splashes of red in pour #3. I too had some russet mica powder, and mine stayed the muted rust color, so I ended up buying some berry red alumilite dye to get the true red color for some of my pours.
I'm using Alumilite Clear Slow and I've been pouring at somewhere between 90F to 95F, usually at an elapsed time of about 9 minutes which gives me about 5 minutes to get everything poured, swirled, pot and pressured up. - Dave

montmill

Beautiful work Dave and not surprising considering your meticulous approach to your work. I'm sure everything is documented so you could replicate things if you wanted to. I'll be looking for some of your blanks for sale in the classifieds.

sorcerertd

Wow, Dave, you are a natural at this! That's gorgeous! I agree with everyone on loving the pop of the red. The swirls are very well done, too. Assuming you stirred it after pouring, what did you use, and how?

egnald

Wow, Dave, you are a natural at this! That's gorgeous! I agree with everyone on loving the pop of the red. The swirls are very well done, too. Assuming you stirred it after pouring, what did you use, and how?
I used a long bamboo skewer from the grocery store - the kind you buy to make kabobs. With only about 1/4-inch of space at the top of my mold pipes, I essentially slid it down one side of the pipe and then swirled around maybe 2 times as I was withdrawing the skewer. I also pinched the top with my gloved fingers as I was withdrawing the skewer so the excess resin dripped back into the top of the pipe. After swirling I topped them all off with a little resin and headed for the pressure pot.

I've been thinking about taking some pictures and writing up a tutorial on how I made the mold out of PVC pipe. I think it turned out pretty good and seems to be working well so far.

Dave

Top Bottom