First Pen From New Router/Lathe Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

New jig is working very well. After routing the slots, the measurement between the slots was within .002. Woods in this pen are lyptus and holly. I was hoping the lyptus would darken a little with CA, it did not, it's still a nice looking pen but I probably won't use these woods together
637A851E-7756-4EA5-B818-8016A65A62D8.jpeg
5F99C785-AF13-43FE-A609-5C38AD08BCC1.jpeg
5966F533-942C-45D4-9A0F-1A8CC32D6E9B.jpeg
7B0E3C41-05C6-493E-AC65-AA785C28926D.jpeg
. I should mention this is a three slot design on a Knurl GT, chrome finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Nice work. Thanks for showing us the whole 9 yards to make this. I'm still impressed with the way you designed the jig to make this pen. As mentioned before I'm not one to build a jig for a project, I'll just get a different project. Although that's a very nice pen I like the road you took to get to this point. Well done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet! Excellent as expected with your jigs. I actually like the color combination. A softer, creamy appearance.

I'm really enjoying your work. If I didn't have 'Frankie" I'd certainly give a go at your set-up; I see many advantages.

KenB259

Sweet! Excellent as expected with your jigs. I actually like the color combination. A softer, creamy appearance.

I'm really enjoying your work. If I didn't have 'Frankie" I'd certainly give a go at your set-up; I see many advantages.
My cordless router attaches to the plunge base very easily. The plunge bases attaches to my jig with 12 screws. As it sits the jig is perfectly centered. I have been thinking about just buying another plunge base so I'll never have to remove it from the jig. The bottom of the jig has a runner that fits snuggly between the ways so I should be able to remove it from the lathe and put it back without any tweaking. That won't be the case if I remove the plunge base from the jig.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My cordless router attaches to the plunge base very easily. The plunge bases attaches to my jig with 12 screws. As it sits the jig is perfectly centered. I have been thinking about just buying another plunge base so I'll never have to remove it from the jig. The bottom of the jig has a runner that fits snuggly between the ways so I should be able to remove it from the lathe and put it back without any tweaking. That won't be the case if I remove the plunge base from the jig.
I keep going back to your router jig. So many advantages to the typical lathe mounter router. I agree that easy removable would be a great advantage to shift to conventional turning. This is going to be fun seeing what new designs you come up with. Having the router pre-centered, being able to have precise left/right and depth movement looks very appealing.

KenB259

I keep going back to your router jig. So many advantages to the typical lathe mounter router. I agree that easy removable would be a great advantage to shift to conventional turning. This is going to be fun seeing what new designs you come up with. Having the router pre-centered, being able to have precise left/right and depth movement looks very appealing.
Since I already had the router, it was quite inexpensive. The plywood pieces were just leftovers from other projects. I could have built it without the linear motion rails, but I doubt it would have been so smooth. Total out of pocket expense was forty dollars, for those 2 rails. My favorite part of it is there not one iota of slop.

howsitwork

Since I already had the router, it was quite inexpensive. The plywood pieces were just leftovers from other projects. I could have built it without the linear motion rails, but I doubt it would have been so smooth. Total out of pocket expense was forty dollars, for those 2 rails. My favorite part of it is there not one iota of slop.
that will make for goos ease of use 👍👍

sorcerertd

That is one heck of an intricate jig, but it certainly delivered beautiful results! I also like the wood combo. The low contrast really caught my eye as being somewhat unique for segmenting. It's just enough to show the segments off with a very "soft" appearance.

KMCloonan

New jig is working very well. After routing the slots, the measurement between the slots was within .002. Woods in this pen are lyptus and holly. I was hoping the lyptus would darken a little with CA, it did not, it's still a nice looking pen but I probably won't use these woods togetherView attachment 309373View attachment 309374View attachment 309375View attachment 309376. I should mention this is a three slot design on a Knurl GT, chrome finish.
Very cool. Your extremely complex jig has already earned its "stripes" so to speak. It's fascinating to see your jig, then see a finished pen. I was looking at the pen, at each angle you photographed, and in my brain I was referencing the sketch you provided of the 3-channel cutout, and I can clearly see how the pen came together. Just plain awesome.

howsitwork

That is one heck of an intricate jig, but it certainly delivered beautiful results! I also like the wood combo. The low contrast really caught my eye as being somewhat unique for segmenting. It's just enough to show the segments off with a very "soft" appearance.
I totally agree . The soft delineation adds greatly to my eyes at least. For want of a better description it's an " I want to pick that one up" pen .

Have you now upgraded by installing the steel base plate Ken?

KenB259

I totally agree . The soft delineation adds greatly to my eyes at least. For want of a better description it's an " I want to pick that one up" pen .

Have you now upgraded by installing the steel base plate Ken?
Yes, the steel base plate has been added, was a perfect fit.

howsitwork

Yes, the steel base plate has been added, was a perfect fit.
do younthink the extra weight of the steel vs , say aluminium, helps dampen any vibration tendencies? Only asking as I tend to use aluminium for jigs as it's easy to machine up ?

KenB259

do younthink the extra weight of the steel vs , say aluminium, helps dampen any vibration tendencies? Only asking as I tend to use aluminium for jigs as it's easy to machine up ?
Even with the wood plate I had in it first, it was rock solid, given that, I'm sure aluminum would work fine.

Top Bottom