First Pen from New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

Well, I took the plunge and moved up from the jet mini to a slightly larger lathe. I am now the proud owner of a like new nova 3000. It belonged to one of our club members that passed away last year. It has a 220v Leeson motor with electronic variable speed. A modular tool rest system with 11 diferent tool rests, a bed extension and a vacum chuck set up. I picked it up on Sunday only to find out that it wouldn't fit in the place I had planned in the shop. So the last few days have been spent reorganizing and cleaning out the shop (I'm far from finished) running a 220v line, ordering a new chuck to fit it, etc. I had a pen to make so I figured I would give the new lathe a spin. Blue Dyed curly maple cigar
bluecig-2_editedMedium.jpg

bluecig-8_editedMedium.jpg

bluecig-4Medium.jpg

bluecig-5Medium.jpg

Comments welcomed, thanks for looking

Sorry folks, no fancy photo tent photos, just a few quick snap shots of my new lathe and the first thing to come off it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's one hellavu finish on that pen:eek: I thought it was PR for a sec.:biggrin:

Don't strain that itty bitty lathe by forcing it to make pens though:biggrin:
Is that the normal motor frame size for that lathe? It looks like it needs a support under it:confused:

Lenny

Wow! Nice! Tell us about the finish you put on that pen?

If I ever decide to get rid of my two lathes it would be so I could get a Nova. Is that an extra long bed (extension?)??

splinter99

Skippy. I agree it looks a little odd. The Leeson variable speed was an upgrade offered with this lathe.
As far as the finish, its just 10 coats of thin ca, allowed to cure overnight, then micromeshed and buffed

splinter99

Lenny: Yes it has one bed extension added for a total of 3(Comes stock with a short bed (for bowl turning) and one bed extension. You can add on from there

lorbay

Very nice pen and lathe too, I had the Nova 1624-32 and converted it a V/S and sold it for the same price I bought it for, nice lathe.

Lin.

bitshird

Congrats on getting a great lathe, and your first turning is beautiful, nice finish and beautiful color, There should be some nice bowls off of it soon.

Top Bottom