First PC with canes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

Not my best as the best is always yet to come.
Did a lot of learning on this and while it has numerous flaws, it will be kept for reference.
In many ways this is like getting into turning.
The clay is inexpensive. $3 or less for 2 oz and while that doesn't seem like much, it goes a long way.
The expense in in the tools. Cutters, pasta roller, oven, etc.
But it does add a whole new dimension to the game!

This one is done on 7mm tubes. I figured if I could make this work, larger tubes would be no problem.

Attachments

• first_PC.jpg
    first_PC.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 519
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Looks Great, Congratulations
I am "thinking" of doing some, contacted a local source for material, have bought a book, and am absorbing all the information I can obtain.
Please keep us informed on your progress Dale.
Brian

OZturner

OZturner, whats the title of the book?

"The Art of POLYMER CLAY" - 'Creative Surface Effects- - by Donna Kato

I got mine on ebay.

I am working my way through it, not all is directly applicable to Pen's, but covers a lot of uses and techniques. Well illustrated, and constructed.
I am pleased I got it.
Regards,
Brian

OZturner, whats the title of the book?

"The Art of POLYMER CLAY" - 'Creative Surface Effects- - by Donna Kato

I got mine on ebay.

I am working my way through it, not all is directly applicable to Pen's, but covers a lot of uses and techniques. Well illustrated, and constructed.
I am pleased I got it.
Regards,
Brian

I have looked at ALOT of clay books over the last few years, but I loved that book, especially the Polymer Basics section where she talks about the history of all the brands and how they have evolved. Often times opinions become fact without being fully researched...so it's good to go back to the founding sources to find out how polymer clay has really evolved. I've always been a "how" and "why" kind of person and like to learn this type of information.

Dale Allen

Thanks Tine. I will watch that tutorial as well.
The problem here is that I used a clay that was slightly translucent and it washed out the color difference. There is a slightly darker color used for the veins but the color difference became much too subtle and the leaf just looks like a green blob!
All part of the learning curve.

The problem here is that I used a clay that was slightly translucent and it washed out the color difference. There is a slightly darker color used for the veins but the color difference became much too subtle and the leaf just looks like a green blob!

Don't be too hard on yourself...some of the world's greatest artworks have been called mistakes at some point in history. I myself am an abstract artist which apparently is an anomaly for many to comprehend. My soul thrives in the unusual and different art designs. Everyone should have the right to find their own place in the art world...I'm sure you'll find your place where you feel good about your work.

Toni

Great first pen!! You should have seen my firsts, trust me with practice and time you will have nailed it!!

That Donna Kato book is awesome, I highly recommend it!!

Second pen, great roses!!

Dale Allen

Great first pen!! You should have seen my firsts, trust me with practice and time you will have nailed it!!

That Donna Kato book is awesome, I highly recommend it!!

Second pen, great roses!!

Thank you Toni. A complement from you is priceless. Your work is what inspired me to try this stuff.

Dale Allen

Don't be too hard on yourself...some of the world's greatest artworks have been called mistakes at some point in history. I myself am an abstract artist which apparently is an anomaly for many to comprehend. My soul thrives in the unusual and different art designs. Everyone should have the right to find their own place in the art world...I'm sure you'll find your place where you feel good about your work.

Tina, sorry I misspelled your name. :redface:

Dale Allen

Maybe I need that book more than I know.
While this one is OK, it is not quite what I was aiming for.
I'll call this a fire flower.
There is still a lot of distortion going on during the steps to reduce the sections. Oh well, try another!

Attachments

• fireflower.jpg
    fireflower.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 121
Maybe I need that book more than I know.
While this one is OK, it is not quite what I was aiming for.
I'll call this a fire flower.
There is still a lot of distortion going on during the steps to reduce the sections. Oh well, try another!

Not all distortion is bad, but if you are having trouble during reduction, I would recommend letting the canes rest before reducing. Depending on the clay you are using, once it reaches a certain temperature, it can get pretty soft. You can even put canes in the freezer to firm them up some before working with them again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom