First Osage Orange

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings all:

Well, it's a disappointment. This is the first time I've turned Osage Orange. It turned much easier than I thought it would as Hedge Apple has a reputation about being really hard. When I assembled it (Gold Cigar kit) I noticed a dent, chip, or something. I sure wish it would have been on the opposite side so I could have covered it with the clip. (see the middle picture).

I disassembled the pen and did a spot repair with CA glue (sorta). Upon close inspection it appears that this may have been caused by a crack or something when I pressed the nib in. The pictures of the pen are pre-fix. I really like the color so I guess I just have to add it to my collection of other minor blems. I'll probably cut another piece of Osage Orange and try again tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

Three views of the pen as it is rotated:
IMG_1374 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1375 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1376 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Could always disassemble and a dab of CA and then refinish. Looks like a small pit.

Might be the picture but in the 3rd pic is what looks like a smudge on the cap near the centerband.

Being picky but still a beautiful pen and most folks would never see the issues. Were all picky.

KJA

Greetings all:

Well, it's a disappointment. This is the first time I've turned Osage Orange. It turned much easier than I thought it would as Hedge Apple has a reputation about being really hard. When I assembled it (Gold Cigar kit) I noticed a dent, chip, or something. I sure wish it would have been on the opposite side so I could have covered it with the clip. (see the middle picture).

I disassembled the pen and did a spot repair with CA glue (sorta). Upon close inspection it appears that this may have been caused by a crack or something when I pressed the nib in. The pictures of the pen are pre-fix. I really like the color so I guess I just have to add it to my collection of other minor blems. I'll probably cut another piece of Osage Orange and try again tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

Three views of the pen as it is rotated:
View attachment 245397View attachment 245398View attachment 245399
Never tried a pen out of it. A few bits of furniture over the years. Gonna have to try a pen.

Great colour, nice choice of kit

Top Bottom