First Opal inlay blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

This is my first use of synthetic opal. Not exactly what I expected but the next ones should be better. I used large opal set in a 3mmx1mm channel. Medium would have been better.
31FF27B8-403F-4B38-8C21-A35E4BBD192F.jpeg
2680213B-AF4F-413F-AC81-DF14EA8619DB.jpeg

I should have chosen a different blank . I used wedding white and it is too transparent and not enough contrast.
the pictures don't show the opal effect very well.
C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Patrick, I see a few elements I really like.

1. The length of the main/inner white blank, to the end caps is excellent.
2. The W/B/W three-ply rings and the 'bluish' rings are beautiful, nice combo.
3. The inner cast blank is intriguing... I have sifted opal chips to get 3 different gradations, I like your larger size - very nice.
4. A question: Any blank paint before applying the opal? A dark color, or a bright color may give a very different appearance. This may be a basic question, but I am curious how to accentuate the opal segments.

I like this a lot - well done.

PatrickR

Patrick, I see a few elements I really like.

1. The length of the main/inner white blank, to the end caps is excellent.
2. The W/B/W three-ply rings and the 'bluish' rings are beautiful, nice combo.
3. The inner cast blank is intriguing... I have sifted opal chips to get 3 different gradations, I like your larger size - very nice.
4. A question: Any blank paint before applying the opal? A dark color, or a bright color may give a very different appearance. This may be a basic question, but I am curious how to accentuate the opal segments.

I like this a lot - well done.
Thanks Mark!
the blank was not cast. i turned the blank close to size and then cut 6 channels and filled them with the opal and ca. Then turned to finish size with a normal ca finish. I decided not to paint the channels because the "wedding white" blank was more translucent than anticipated and was afraid of what it might look like. I know that ring makers color the channels black usually.
I've got another one in the works that won't use any plastic.

PatrickR

Looks great! That stuff is very cool looking. How much opal did it take for that project? I've been thinking about trying some "rings" of it on a few pens.
Thanks Todd!
this used about 2 grams Of the large size. I would assume the smaller the grain the more that will fit in the channel.
as a ring around a pen you would use very little.

jasonsch

I like it and nice video to display it. What kind of kit is that and where did you get it? Please and thank you

PatrickR

I like it and nice video to display it. What kind of kit is that and where did you get it? Please and thank you
Thanks! The video was quick and dirty and doesn't really show the glow of the opal.
the kit is a slimline pro gel from PSI. altered to be a single barrel, very easy to do. One of my favorite clickers.

Penchant 4

Striking work, Sir. A black background to the opal can really make it "pop" (as they say). In the jewelry world opal triplets are composed of a layer of opal on black onyx (typically) covered with a clear dome. The dome magnifies the opal and the black background just sets off the colors of the opal. Black opal in natural state is very highly prized.

Again, beautiful work on this writing instrument.

PatrickR

Striking work, Sir. A black background to the opal can really make it "pop" (as they say). In the jewelry world opal triplets are composed of a layer of opal on black onyx (typically) covered with a clear dome. The dome magnifies the opal and the black background just sets off the colors of the opal. Black opal in natural state is very highly prized.

Again, beautiful work on this writing instrument.
Thanks! it didn't strike me until last night but I could have painted the channel white and then black to get around the trans white problem.

sorcerertd

Thanks Todd!
this used about 2 grams Of the large size. I would assume the smaller the grain the more that will fit in the channel.
as a ring around a pen you would use very little.
Well, I was looking to do something like this with it. If you were picturing the typical groove, I'm probably going to use a little more for this inlay design. Had thought about using that same color you have (or something very similar) with a holly blank, but just never got around to it yet. So many possibilities...
20210718_131917.jpg

PatrickR

Well, I was looking to do something like this with it. If you were picturing the typical groove, I'm probably going to use a little more for this inlay design. Had thought about using that same color you have (or something very similar) with a holly blank, but just never got around to it yet. So many possibilities...
View attachment 318597
Interesting, there must be a way to figure out how much you would use based on volume. Using holly will look great. Painting the channel should yield more vibrant colors.

sorcerertd

Interesting, there must be a way to figure out how much you would use based on volume. Using holly will look great. Painting the channel should yield more vibrant colors.
So far, I've been crushing my own stones (That sounds terrible, doesn't it?) since I have a variety of rough ones hanging around. I'll have to measure what I use by volume. The weight will differ a little based on the mineral content. That one doesn't look as good to me. It's mostly calcite (septarian dragon stone), which can be damaged by prolonged exposure to water, and I think it "melted" a little in the CA.

PatrickR

So far, I've been crushing my own stones (That sounds terrible, doesn't it?) since I have a variety of rough ones hanging around. I'll have to measure what I use by volume. The weight will differ a little based on the mineral content. That one doesn't look as good to me. It's mostly calcite (septarian dragon stone), which can be damaged by prolonged exposure to water, and I think it "melted" a little in the CA.
If you have the opal that's not gemstone grade, have at it! Even the synthetic stuff isn't cheap.

jttheclockman

Why not just a black blank to start with and cut the channel in that. If I may ask where are you getting the opal dust from?

bg15

sorcerertd

Just not what I had in mind when I started, many options. I got it from theopaldealer.com
Next time around, take a look at Exoticblanks.com and turnerswarehouse.com. They are probably both cheaper. From what I understand, there is only one manufacturer of synthetic opal right now, so it would all be the same stuff.

PatrickR

I quickly checked and one of those places was more and one was less. neither has as much variety of color and size. The lower priced site makes selection rather clunky and hard to make comparisons.
no matter to me as I have what I need and am probably moving on to other options. Almost finished with #2, its better but just not what I think I will be pursuing in depth.

Top Bottom