First one of what I hope will be many

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Well took some time in the shop today and wanted to finish this pen to see what it would look like. Now just a side note, many of the pens I will be doing in the near future is using materials that you do not see much of and hopefully it will open avenues to others to try and expand on. These are not new on the market materials but stuff we do not associate with pen making I guess. We as pen makers are constantly looking at things with a different eye than most people. WE are or at least I am always asking, can I cast that, can I glue that and segment it, can I turn that small enough to fit a pen kit.

This pen is made from guitar picks, aluminum strips and some red celoplast acrylic material. All glued with epoxy. turned and polished on a wood lathe. Again I will use this disclaimer ahead of time for this pen and all pens I make, They are all hand made. They are all done using woodworking tools and machines. No CNC or metal lathe work here. Are there flaws in the pens, I am sure they are and not from a lack of not trying to make them flawless. But again read disclaimer above. Hand Made. These picks are the ones that are celluloid and multicolored. They have the pearlescent look to them for a lack of a better description. Get them on ebay for cheap and these are the heavy duty version. I had to make a jig to hold the picks to drill them on my drill press because they will crack easily. Found the best way is to build the stack and then drill. Had to make sure stack was plumb on all sides which they were. The rough blank was shown in my other post about returning to the shop. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions are always welcomed. Maybe I should have taken photo out in the sunlight. It would really pop because it looks better in person. May do that when it gets sunny again here. Rain tomorrow.
Copy of IMGP0497.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I like the looks of it. Funny you mentioned your always thinking can you turn it or cast it. No matter were I go I've got the same idea in the back of my mind> At first it drove my wife nuts but now she's either gotten used to it or I wore her down to the point of giving up. I'm thinking it's the latter because now she's quick to throw out the disclaimer "I'm not responsible for anything he says or does".

KenB259

Wow that is a really nice pen. Great job as always. Any guitar player would love this and wouldn't it be awesome if you could get your hands on some picks used by famous guitarists?

Dr_N

I saw that one in your other post and was anxious to see how it turned out. It looks fantastic! Did you simply polish it, or did it need ca or something to achieve such a smooth finish?

jttheclockman

There are some things I still do not like about this new site and not sure if I ever will get use to them. But I believe there is a way to multiquote and maybe someone can share with this old fool. The other site was very easy.

But to address some of the questions and comments.

Pete, the material is actual guitar pics. I will post the other photo here at the end of this. You can see the glued up blank there to the right. I do have some of that sheet goods which is for another project involving casting down the road.

Dustin, the finished blank was treated like any other acrylic blank and spun down and MM. I did have to start wet sanding with 1200 grit paper first though. Then a coat of polish and this is what you see. It is a high shine because that acrylic shines nicely. I used those type picks to get the illusion of the pearlescent (I know this is not the right word but can not think of the right one) that is in them. As I said they shine more in person and capturing on a photo is not my strong suit.

Ken, if I had famous picks I probably would not spin them.

Skip, just trying to get a few pens made and get rid of the many kits I have laying around.:)

Kenny, it is to the point now that everyone is looking for me and suggesting things too. If I would do all the ideas I have I would not have enough time in my life left for sure. Between this pen turning stuff and my other woodworking hobby.

To all others thanks for the kind words and as I said I will be trying to complete a few more from materials we all see and know but maybe never gave it much thought. This pen can be made with any acrylics or woods just the same manner but the added oddity of material makes it a story hopefully.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0495.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0495.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 188
I'm new to the forum and am dipping my feet into the waters - and came across this masterpiece!! I love the colors and the overall look on this one.

I have a stack of old gift cards, credit cards, etc. and have been thinking of turning them for a pen. I guess I need to get to work. Thanks for sharing.

jttheclockman

Hubert go for it. That is one of the reasons I would love to see others try this and any other pen I make and if questions just ask. I will always supply an answer if I can.

Guitar picks is just a material, as others have done old credit cards, door key cards, sheets of metal plastic and the list goes on. Basic segmenting done here with stacking.

thanks again for all the comments. Was in the shop today for about an hour. Got a couple blanks set up in pressure pot and got another of Mike's blanks spun. I will post those all together as a group because I used all the colors I got from him. They are some pretty material for sure. Hope my photo does them justice when I get done. Good place to use up some of the many Sierra kits I have. Used a TG /TG kit today for the first time and the blank is totally awesome and goes great with the kit even if I have to say so myself. That one will be a seller for sure. Stay tuned.

jttheclockman

I think I will make another couple of these. I had a request so will start gluing some blanks up tomorrow. Need to think of a good center color. Hopefully back will allow me back in the shop. Had to take today off. Do not want to push things.

jttheclockman

Turned out very nice John luv the colors and center is a neat touch.
Thanks John I am going to be making a couple more of these because I have been requested to and will use a different color and a little different design probably. Will see what pops in my head.

Top Bottom