First Majestic Roller Ball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Talfalfa33

Talfalfa33

Hello all,
I know it's a long time between postings. While working full time and working on an associates degree in AutoCAD, I manage to get in a pen or two for people. I was able to get in ten pens for my guys under me in the maintenance dept. plus my manager. I also got an order for a Majestic Roller Ball and it was left up to me for the design and details. The ten I did rather quick with a walnut dowel and maple for the Celtic knot. Then my manager's pen was a click with multiple segmentation of the base being Purple Heart. Now for the Majestic, it is figured Koa with Purple Heart and aluminum separations. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Attachments

• 7E7FDAA8-9FBA-4A86-9662-4C3068EC2E14.jpg
    7E7FDAA8-9FBA-4A86-9662-4C3068EC2E14.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 233
  • A08CB053-4E65-4234-86D3-73F1CFE64709.jpg
    A08CB053-4E65-4234-86D3-73F1CFE64709.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 1DE89642-076B-4ED1-82B7-2598D926DD68.jpg
    1DE89642-076B-4ED1-82B7-2598D926DD68.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 235
  • CC011CCF-849C-411A-AD53-B795B02AFD88.jpg
    CC011CCF-849C-411A-AD53-B795B02AFD88.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Tim: Its nice to see someone who is returning after "Life" got in the way.

OK, so you asked for input...

The celtic knots look to me like you were rediscovering your skill set. Very nice, but the alignment can be tighter. (Getting the top/bottom of the segments aligned on the curve is a task). This is not really a criticism, but an observation - For their purpose I would be proud of these myself - no problems whatsoever!

The multiple segmentation clicker looks like you had a lot of fun with the celtics and wanted to play more. The design is an absolute step up and the alignment and complexity is also well done. It looks like you were playing, had fun and it turned out great.

Finally, the scallops. As I have been told (with good reason), simplier is sometimes better. This design also has unique challenges, but you dealt with them wonderfully.

I believe the progression from the celtic knots to the scallops was a lot of fun for you.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Talfalfa33

Thank you for the observations, I knew the Celtic knots where a touch off, due to my time constraint, I had to get ten of them done in one weekend. And I used medium CA instead it thick witch would have given me more working time. But everyone enjoyed them. And for the click, I had a little more time to spare and I did have fun with it. Then for the Majestic, this was an actual order and I took the needed time to design and figure out how I was going to achieve my goal. I have not seen any pen as of yet where the scallop jumps over the center band and curves the opposite way to join with the next. As if it where overlapping around the pen. Once again, I thank you for the comments and praise in my work. Also I usually don't see most comments as criticism, just suggestions as what to look for in my future projects.

OZturner

Excellent Pens Tim,
Love the Ten Celtics,
Great Choice of Material and Hardware.
Beautifully Turned Fitted and Finished, others have mentioned the alignment.
The Multi Segmented Click, is a Kaleidoscope of Colours, Did you use Food Dye?
Outstanding,
Then the Majestic, Stunning, Subtle yet Spectacular.
Love your Choice of Timbers, and the Scalloped Segmenting. Mark made some Significant remarks, so enough said.
All Pens were Beautifully Fitted, and Finished.
Congratulations, I look forward to seeing some more Real Soon!
Brian.

Talfalfa33

Excellent Pens Tim,
Love the Ten Celtics,
Great Choice of Material and Hardware.
Beautifully Turned Fitted and Finished, others have mentioned the alignment.
The Multi Segmented Click, is a Kaleidoscope of Colours, Did you use Food Dye?
Outstanding,
Then the Majestic, Stunning, Subtle yet Spectacular.
Love your Choice of Timbers, and the Scalloped Segmenting. Mark made some Significant remarks, so enough said.
All Pens were Beautifully Fitted, and Finished.
Congratulations, I look forward to seeing some more Real Soon!
Brian.

On the Celtics, they are 3/4 walnut dowel with maple for the knot.
For the click, I cheated just a little, the multi colored sections are the laminated pen blanks from Rockler that you get five to a pack for around $10. I just cut them at the angle I needed and glued everything together. The green in it as an acrylic blank re-saw and run through a drum sander attachment I built for my lathe. And the final is Purple Heart.
For the Majestic, main wood is figured Koa with the accent of aluminum flashing from Home Depot, then touched off with Purple Heart.
All pens are CA coated and sanded down using DRY micro mesh through all the pads.

Top Bottom