First label casting- what went wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JLMacDonald

Still playing with the polyester casting and that part I'm getting better at BUT my first label cast had a few issues and was just wondering if anyone could tell what happened/how I can fix it.

I printed the image on Avery sticker paper, put on the tube and then I sprayed clear gloss Krylon to seal it before casting. (I'm scared of having the label colours run in the resin) I used Clear Casting Resin from Castin' Craft, and while I have a pressure pot now I didn't use it for this one now that I got the resin to catalyst ratio down. :)

I also have a couple questions:
-Do you sand the brass tubes before putting the label on? Does it adhere better?
-Does it matter what kind of sticker paper is used? So long as it's sealed in some way so the colours don't run

Here's a pic of my first resin label cast. Not sure why part of it is the way it is. Bubbles? Not sure. And on the back part of the label eroded away and you can see the brass tube.

(Even though it's not 100% I am super happy with the result. The polyester resin turned nice, it's super clear and I like that part. Just need to fix up the label part.)
Thanks for any help

120131149_10157303641771459_5623096098286519564_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I do not use spray sealer. I brush on thin CA for my sealer. I only use spray sealer for making decals.
What label paper are you using? I would recommend: onlinelabels.com and order OL713WJ. This is Weatherproof Matte.
I do not sand the tubes.

JLMacDonald

I do not use spray sealer. I brush on thin CA for my sealer. I only use spray sealer for making decals.
What label paper are you using? I would recommend: onlinelabels.com and order OL713WJ. This is Weatherproof Matte.
I do not sand the tubes.
I checked and to ship $15 worth of labels to Canada would cost over $25 :(

I was using sticker paper that I already had at home:
6793303383-ppi.png

Last edited:

JohnU

Try using weatherproof labels from
OnlineLabels.com. There's no need to seal or prep them. Just print, cut, stick and cast.
Some Ingredients in the sealers react with the resin. It's better to eliminate using them and their drying time needed and keep it as simple as possible.

JohnU

Here's a great video by Mark Dreyer on making the labels.

Curly

Before you invest time making blanks with labels etc., test their compatibility with the resin by sticking it on a piece of kitchen foil folded into a little container, or use a little butter/lemon tart foil cup things. Stick it on the bottom and pour your resin on top. That way you can observe the reaction to the resin. Edges curling, bubbling, ink running, wrinkling will show up and you can use the same method to test background paint, nail polish, coatings and the like. Once you have all the ducks in a row you can then cast the pen blanks without wasting tubes or time on failures.

JLMacDonald

Before you invest time making blanks with labels etc., test their compatibility with the resin by sticking it on a piece of kitchen foil folded into a little container, or use a little butter/lemon tart foil cup things. Stick it on the bottom and pour your resin on top. That way you can observe the reaction to the resin. Edges curling, bubbling, ink running, wrinkling will show up and you can use the same method to test background paint, nail polish, coatings and the like. Once you have all the ducks in a row you can then cast the pen blanks without wasting tubes or time on failures.
Oh that's a great idea! Thanks!

JLMacDonald

I think I have it figured out. :) A bunch of the recommended products either weren't available in Canada or would cost more for shipping that what the item is worth, I ended up buying some printable vinyl for my inkjet printer off Amazon.ca. I've done a couple pens and no issues. Well, one *minor* one in that sometimes the tube will push out a bit when I use the barrel trimmer. I imagine it's because the resin isn't actually sticking to the vinyl. But if that's the only issue with the process, I'm cool with that!

butchf18a

Still playing with the polyester casting and that part I'm getting better at BUT my first label cast had a few issues and was just wondering if anyone could tell what happened/how I can fix it.

I printed the image on Avery sticker paper, put on the tube and then I sprayed clear gloss Krylon to seal it before casting. (I'm scared of having the label colours run in the resin) I used Clear Casting Resin from Castin' Craft, and while I have a pressure pot now I didn't use it for this one now that I got the resin to catalyst ratio down. :)

I also have a couple questions:
-Do you sand the brass tubes before putting the label on? Does it adhere better?
-Does it matter what kind of sticker paper is used? So long as it's sealed in some way so the colours don't run

Here's a pic of my first resin label cast. Not sure why part of it is the way it is. Bubbles? Not sure. And on the back part of the label eroded away and you can see the brass tube.

(Even though it's not 100% I am super happy with the result. The polyester resin turned nice, it's super clear and I like that part. Just need to fix up the label part.)
Thanks for any help

View attachment 246929
Onlinelabels are my preferred labels. Inkjet printer. Scuff tube. Some say not necessary, yet it effectively increases surface adhesion area, never had a failure doing it. No sealer, just mount label, burnish seam, cast with Alumalite Clear, 55psi pressure pot for 2 hours.
2C182115-B85A-41A9-B061-2A93A381A94A.jpeg
F5852F09-147B-46D1-917A-3899FB0A482C.jpeg

Top Bottom