First Knife.....practice run

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all,
I recently showed my home made 2 x 72 Belt grinder that I made to have a go at making a knife or two.

Well, I've heard a rumour that Mrs Santa is bringing me some Damascus steel for Christmas...:biggrin: So I had to have a practice run. This is the result. The belt grinder worked like a charm and as it was my very first knife, I decided to use the last chunk of my all time favourite resin ( Alchemy/Burnt Copper by PR Princess ) for the scales

The metal is 1/4 thick stainless ( the type that can't be hardened :frown: ) So this is mostly for show. Probably wouldn't cut soft butter, but I do have several cuts....:eek:
Decided to go for a shiny finish. It could do with some more polishing, but.....:rolleyes:

I ultimately want to make folding knives. UK legal friction folders. Locking knives are not legal.

Pretty pleased with how it came out, though it certainly isn't flawless by a long way. Hope you like it too :biggrin:

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Superb! It may be "mostly for show," but its a sweet blade as is.

Future Damascus will be a treat to see with what you come up with.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, I like it too. Your practice run looks awesome to me.
Looking for ward to the Damascus. Thanks for sharing the photos.
You done good. :biggrin:

Wagner11

Wow that is really good for a practice run. It's a shame it can't be hardened.

Nice work!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Charlie_W

Wonderful first go!
Your work looks first class even if you see things you are not totally happy with....any of us would be thrilled to have a knife of that caliber.
Also, excellent choice on Dawn's PR for the scales!
That will make a great letter opener for your desk.

VotTak

My first knife was much-much worse. I also use my 2x72 which I welded together myself. So, I went through the same troubles as you did. But your knife looks very good. Not sure why you say that stainless steel cannot be hardened... but it is secondary. I usually cut my knives to shape, than send for heat treatment and than put the bevels on and add handle...
And to make folding knives.... well good luck with that... I do not have metal mill to pursue that goal.... probably you got better equipment to go for folders

jttheclockman

Hi all,
I recently showed my home made 2 x 72 Belt grinder that I made to have a go at making a knife or two.

Well, I've heard a rumour that Mrs Santa is bringing me some Damascus steel for Christmas...:biggrin: So I had to have a practice run. This is the result. The belt grinder worked like a charm and as it was my very first knife, I decided to use the last chunk of my all time favourite resin ( Alchemy/Burnt Copper by PR Princess ) for the scales

The metal is 1/4 thick stainless ( the type that can't be hardened :frown: ) So this is mostly for show. Probably wouldn't cut soft butter, but I do have several cuts....:eek:
Decided to go for a shiny finish. It could do with some more polishing, but.....:rolleyes:

I ultimately want to make folding knives. UK legal friction folders. Locking knives are not legal.

Pretty pleased with how it came out, though it certainly isn't flawless by a long way. Hope you like it too :biggrin:

I am guessing machetes, bowie knives, swords are next. We are going to have to keep an eye on you sir. Maybe on your next pen, instead of using a skew just pull out one of these scrapers.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the comments guys. Always appreciated:wink: {even yours JT :biggrin:}

Stepan....(VotTak) essentially, if stainless is of the non-magnetic flavour, then it cannot be hardened. :wink: Well, not by heat treatment anyway. It can be toughened up by 'work hardening' . Not sure how or even if it could be applied to a blade though. :confused:

D.Oliver

That's a good looking knife! I know what you mean about PR Princess's resins. I think in my top 5, she has at least 4 of the spots!

JD Combs Sr

A really nice looking knife, but I don't see a maker's mark on it, I have read on knife forums that unless there is a makers mark, it's not worth looking at, of course I don't subscribe to that, as they say, a rose by any other name is still a rose.

Top Bottom