First Knife of 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paps

paps

Just finished up a custom order and the first knife of the year...haven't posted in a while, so thought I'd throw it up. Scales on this one are desert ironwood burl. Thanks for takin a look! -Phil

Attachments

• 330K0112.jpg
    330K0112.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Remarkable. I recently picked up a few RR Ties and wanted to try my hand at a knife with them one day but I need an anvil of some sort and need to be able to heat those bad boys up to work them so it may be a while yet. Great job. Your customer will be thrilled.

paps

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Kruzzer, I do what's called the stock removal method to make knives as opposed to some who use a forge, hammer and anvil to shape steel. To build that knife, I used a belt grinder, metal band saw, drill press, kiln (for heat treating the steel), a toaster oven for tempering, a tap for the screws, various reamers, hand files (for the decorative work), some sand paper, dremel tool, and buffer. Most of the work is done with the belt grinder. No lathe work at all.

Drstrangefart

I've made some of my own blades on a forge, but those were miniature swords, and the only one I can still find was turned into s skew. I have done some crude machetes with stock removal. They suck as professional blades go, but they DO clear some vegetation.

GrantH

The other art form i'd love to learn...

Have you seen the documentary on handmade items on the internet? There is a great episode about a knife maker in brooklyn.

paps

Thanks again for the kind words. I've certainly had lots of fun making knives...there always seems to be something new you can try....and more tools you need to get.

Top Bottom