First Kitless RB: Good from far; far from good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

As the titles says...plenty of visible flaws. but I am pleased with it. I always liked this blank (speed racer or nice racer).

Grateful and humble Memorial Day!
Kitless Speed Racer 1.jpgKitless Speed Racer 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Thank You Tony for sharing. What a Great Pen, I really like it. I look forward to reading your postings, and especially your recent entry into kitless. Your questions and the answers from the great folks here on IAP, make a great combo. Bravo.

Rod

Ironwood

Looking good Tony. For a first one you should be well pleased.
I am about to have a go at something very similar, so your thread has come at the right time to give me a bit of inspiration. My ultimate goal is to make wooden bodied pens, with resin, ebonite, or metal sections and threads. But will probably start with a few using all resin blanks to get the process in order first.
I have been reading your other posts/questions, they have been helpful as well.

Last edited:

TonyL

I am about to have a go at something very similar, so your thread has come at the right time to give me a bit of inspiration. My ultimate goal is to make wooden bodied pens, with resin, ebonite, or metal sections and threads. But will probably start with a few using all resin blanks to get the process in order first.
I have been reading your other posts/questions, they have been helpful as well.

Take a look here for more inspiration: www.fountainpenstudios.com
The owner/artist happens to be a great guy too.

Congrats on your first kitless, it turned out very nice. Don't be too hard on yourself, if I ever take the plunge I'll be thrilled if mine turns out that good.

TonyL

Thanks again. I actually love it and became quite skilled and making threads correctly and incorrectly. I also made myself a few tools. One of the best things about the experience was personally connecting with our wonderful membership. I am surprised that a few folks haven't blocked my number :). I have also commissioned Rick H to make me some custom tools.

We all know where to find the flaws (and now my wife knows!); it is a blessing and a curse. I actually plan on making a kitless pen with one of the blanks that you generously gave me.

stuckinohio

@mmayo here is a link to a post I made a while ago with the link to the articles in the library (easier than finding again!)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent work Tony. Kitless is not on my list of chores, but it sure is fun reading and seeing how you and other turners get caught in the vortex; I guess like my interest in segmenting. Very nice - enjoy the journey.

Sprung

Tony, I would say that is a pen to be proud of! Turned out well - especially for a first. Nice work!

duncsuss

Glad I was able to offer a few pointers, Tony - doesn't it feel great to have the first one done?

I just bought a bagfull of "wheel brushes" that fit a rotary tool, going to see if I can use them with buffing compounds and/or Novus polishes to get the threads as shiny as the rest of the pen barrel.

Have fun on this journey - great start :)

TonyL

Glad I was able to offer a few pointers, Tony - doesn't it feel great to have the first one done?

I just bought a bagfull of "wheel brushes" that fit a rotary tool, going to see if I can use them with buffing compounds and/or Novus polishes to get the threads as shiny as the rest of the pen barrel.

Have fun on this journey - great start :)
More than a few pointers..very grateful for the help.

mmayo

@mmayo here is a link to a post I made a while ago with the link to the articles in the library (easier than finding again!)

Thanks, at first glance it looks overwhelming, but I like a challenge. I must say each kitless pen is amazing.

TonyL

Compared to your skills and creations, this is like stepping off a curb for you. If you want to start with single start threads, I can give you a parts list as well as all of the additional tools that I bought.
I only gave it a try because of the tap and dies holders that are more readily available. There is also a tenon cutter that I am waiting for.

OZturner

As the titles says...plenty of visible flaws. but I am pleased with it. I always liked this blank (speed racer or nice racer).
/QUOTE]
Tony, You are being Too hard on yourself[.
I would have been Proud and Inwardly Smiling, if I had produced that Pen as my First Kitless, When and If I get to do one.
I love the Profile, and Proportions,
Nicely Turned and Finished.
Congratulations my Friend, on taking that Large Step.
Brian.

Top Bottom