First Ice Cream Scoop and Second Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

Hi all, I'm new to turning, have made about 5 pens, turned 9 pieces total, this is the first work I've shared. My second bottle stopper and first ice cream scoop. I'm very pleased with them. My first stopper I did with CA as I've done pens. A lot of ridges in the turning and I didn't finish it well with CA. I've been wanting to try Doctor's Woodshop for anything food related so ordered some and that is the finish for both of these pieces. I highly recommend it. Mike was very easy to deal with and his videos were spot on as far as instructions even for a newbie. I used the walnut oil for sanding up to 2500 and then the pens plus, 3 coats for the finish. I liked sanding with the oil. A little messy but fun.

So the bottle stopper is Zebrawood and I really liked it. After the first stopper I also had a little unevenness where the wood met metal and saw the tip about drilling into the blank prior to turning just a bit with a forstner bit and that worked great.

The ice cream scoop I love, it's nice and hefty. It was a Rockler kit that I got second hand. The wood is a mystery to me. It was given to me with a purchase in a craigslist deal, she didn't know what it was but I really like it. Maybe Brazilian Cherry? If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks for looking and for any comments and suggestions.

Warren

Attachments

• DSCF5060.jpg
    DSCF5060.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF5056.jpg
    DSCF5056.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF5053.jpg
    DSCF5053.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF5054.jpg