First hybrid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PilgrimNukeGuy

Here is my first try at a hybrid blank. Blank is a Mallee Burl Hybridz with a Woodcraft European kit. Was not liking using water so wet sanded up to 600 grit using Danish oil, CA finish after. Didn't know the European style was a more advanced kit, ...still happy with it.

Attachments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Pretty pen. It's one of my favorites. You mention that the European style is a more advanced kit. Is it because you have to cut a tenon for the center band? If so I know that Penn State sells a designer kit (same thing...different name) that doesn't require cutting a tenon.

Seven

Pretty pen. It's one of my favorites. You mention that the European style is a more advanced kit. Is it because you have to cut a tenon for the center band? If so I know that Penn State sells a designer kit (same thing...different name) that doesn't require cutting a tenon.

Seven
Thanks for the tip, wasn't expecting the tenon. I am using carbide tools and don't have a parting tool. Ended up removing the sliding ring bushing and sneaking up on the tenon with a square tool, trial and error style.

A follow-up to this pen. I noticed a slight gap (<1/64") where the bottom half meets the metal collar. This was my first European pen. Is this supposed to be a flush fit, or should the lower piece slide into the collar. Right now it's bottomed out so have I mis cut the tenon length, or just don't have a square end on the bottom blank? Can this be fixed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200713-185534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200713-185534_Gallery.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom