First Fountain Pen Critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ivieli

My first attempt in making a pen to fit a Sailor King of Pens nib. The pen blank is called Earth Magic from the Carolina Pen Company. Thoughts?

IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2258.jpg
IMG_2259.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

For a first fountain pen, that's a very good attempt. Incorporating a more difficult to use KOP nib is commendable, and a nice departure from the standard Jowo and bock nibs. You did a nice finishing job as well. Although flush cap, clipless pens are not my preference, the proportions look good, and the barrel step does not look unreasonably large. I especially like that you did not cut a recess or gutter behind the cap threads. That completely blows a nice transition from section, to threads, to body, and has become an unfortunate trend in penmaking.
Some things I would recommend:
-seat your nib unit all the way. It bothers me to see the housing of the unit protruding from the section.
-consider moving the barrel step back a few mm, as it moves the step away from your thumb and fingers when you are gripping the pen.
-grab a nylon dremel brush to clean up your threads with. That with a bit of polishing compound does a nice job cleaning the threads.

Good work! Keep it up

Darrin

Everything he said above applies, and I personally would have rounded the cap a little more at the top.
Other than that, this is a stunning first pen and you should be proud!
Well done!

ivieli

For a first fountain pen, that's a very good attempt. Incorporating a more difficult to use KOP nib is commendable, and a nice departure from the standard Jowo and bock nibs. You did a nice finishing job as well. Although flush cap, clipless pens are not my preference, the proportions look good, and the barrel step does not look unreasonably large. I especially like that you did not cut a recess or gutter behind the cap threads. That completely blows a nice transition from section, to threads, to body, and has become an unfortunate trend in penmaking.
Some things I would recommend:
-seat your nib unit all the way. It bothers me to see the housing of the unit protruding from the section.
-consider moving the barrel step back a few mm, as it moves the step away from your thumb and fingers when you are gripping the pen.
-grab a nylon dremel brush to clean up your threads with. That with a bit of polishing compound does a nice job cleaning the threads.

Good work! Keep it up
Thank you for your feedback, I will follow your suggestions.

FGarbrecht

Very nice pen. There are circumferential tool (or sanding) marks visible on barrel and cap; I would spend some more time getting rid of them to achieve a perfect finish.

darrin1200

Flexible nib factory makes them specific for kop nibs and feeds
Ahhh. That explains much.
I have seen that site before. I was thinking of trying they're specialty feed for a Zebra G calligraphy nib.

Top Bottom