first filigree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Here's my first filigree pen. I like the finished pen, but the kit is a pain in the a@@!!
This one is african black wood. The character in this blank is amazing, I'm sorry you can't see much in this picture. I finished the pen tonight, I have to deliver it tomorrow, so I didn't have time for a proper shot. I quoted the guy WAY to low a price for this pen. The next one I sell will be double the price. This one I'll chock up to advertising. Finish was BLO/CA, FP, and carnauba.
Thanks for looking!!

200591203452_filigree1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

First thing to be careful off is the tolerances are extremely tight. If you trim your blank and touch the brass, you will end up with not enough blank to fit the metal sleeve on. Same with making the tenon! Dave I am sure has more insight, but those were my problems.

I saw this pen in person, and it has fantastic figure in it. The finish is perfect.

Woodnknots

Actually, I went the other way with the barrel trim. I apparently did not trim enough of the barrel down, and the point won't extend far enough for my taste.
Even with NO metal trimmed from the upper barrel, the sleeve was close... I had to take the blank off the lathe about 6-7 times to get the fit right with the sleeve. The final shaping had to be done with sandpaper. If you've never sanded African blackwood, it can be HARD!!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />Wow! I had no idea that it was in the olivewood family, or especially was used for shipbuilding. I sure can't imagine the cost of using it for cabinet making!!

Neither did I, always thought it was part of the rosewood/ebony/etc. family. It is hard but not difficult to turn. I enjoy turning African Blackwood, it has become one of my favorite woods to turn and I like the end results. It takes a finish that even makes me look like I know what I am doing.

elody21

Dave, Love the pen! I hate to say it but I also love the kit. The first one is always a pain but after that you know what to expect. I like to make these in black corian and a European filligree in white for a bride and groom set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom