First custom (kitless/bespoke) pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

So, I have ventured into the "custom-custom" pen making world! I don't like "bespoke" or "kitless" because we all make pens and really a custom pen is a custom pen too me. Anyhow, It took a few tries and and some learning.

Materials are :
Body: Alumilite Clear slow with eye candy pigments and Alumilite dyes.

Section: aluminum fitted with an Osprey Fine nib and a Jowo #6 housing

Cap: aluminum with a threaded epoxy finial.

I really can't wait to get into the next one. Better the skills and make beautiful things. This is my first non-kitted pen and I'm in love with the work that goes into them.

The cap gave me the most issues. Mainly because I became overzealous on making the designs. I cut through it so now it looks like a lipstick tube. Oh well! 😂

Merry Christmas everyone!

68A0BCFC-DF32-404F-AF43-6F7328984C47.jpeg
07953628-ABF0-4A92-B0D9-F8413679B021.jpeg
FD7AECCE-7A36-4E3A-BBB2-3DB1EC678876.jpeg
2493B482-3C01-4992-A6B3-42648A2F4776.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a beauty. I love the features you chose. Very impressive and I look forward to your future efforts - well done! 👏 👏 👏

Alchemist

Well done David !! That's a fine start to your kitless journey.
I am impressed that you have incorporated the aluminium into your design, I like it.
I figured, why not just do something crazy and up my alley? It wasn't difficult. I found it easier than ebonite or other materials, since I have previous experiences with tapping and threading etc.

Next pen will probably incorporate a roll stop or clip… which ever I decide to do when the pen get closer to completion.

And thanks again for your clip tips!

its_virgil

I do not like the term either nor do I like the term kitless. Here is a definition of bespoke: The word bespoke has evolved from a verb meaning 'to speak for something', to its contemporary usage as an adjective. Originally, the adjective bespoke described tailor-made suits and shoes. Later, it described anything commissioned to a particular specification.

You are suddenly seeing it everywhere because advertisers realized a few years ago that it would appeal to hipsters better than "custom" does, because it sounds more pretentious.

So, if a pen is not made for a specific customer with customer input in the design, materials used etc I would not consider it to be a bespoke pen. But hey, I don't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger.

These "bespoke" pens are extremely nice pens and are fun to make and the process is very rewarding.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Alchemist

I do not like the term either nor do I like the term kitless. Here is a definition of bespoke: The word bespoke has evolved from a verb meaning 'to speak for something', to its contemporary usage as an adjective. Originally, the adjective bespoke described tailor-made suits and shoes. Later, it described anything commissioned to a particular specification.

You are suddenly seeing it everywhere because advertisers realized a few years ago that it would appeal to hipsters better than "custom" does, because it sounds more pretentious.

So, if a pen is not made for a specific customer with customer input in the design, materials used etc I would not consider it to be a bespoke pen. But hey, I don't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger.

These "bespoke" pens are extremely nice pens and are fun to make and the process is very rewarding.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
No shots will be fired by me! I completely agree with you! Thanks, Don!

Top Bottom