First Cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

This my first attempt at using Cocobolo. It went on a Majestic pen and is finished with Pens Plus instead of CA. I certainly got an education about using Cocobolo and how caustic the wood is. The dust is absolutely an irritant for those of us with allergies and I will wear a mask henceforth. All in all, the Cocobolo finishes beautifully and makes a gorgeous pen to say the least. I did learn that it is a very oily wood on its own too.

Thanks for taking time to look and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 1st CMFP 2 A.jpg
    1st CMFP 2 A.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 1st CMFP A.jpg
    1st CMFP A.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 261
  • 1st Cocobolo Majestic A.jpg
    1st Cocobolo Majestic A.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mike:

The pen is BEAUTIFUL! Very nice job all around.

Irritated to Cocobolo... Unless you go to extreme measures with air filters, ventilation, dust collection, and lots of $$$, you may want to consider saving your money and avoiding those known irritants (Rosewoods, cocobolo, etc...).

I have battled rashes for 9 months now with only temporary relief (stop the meds, they bloom out again - even during periods of no turning).

Everyone is different and many have no issues, so use your best judgement.

Sorry to get wordy/preachy!

LOVE THE PEN THOUGH!!! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

KenV

Be really careful with the rose wood family -- lovely turnings as that pen shows -- but allergies do not seem to get better with more exposure.

Zebra wood is bad for me -- do not want it in the shop.

Good looking pen -- but there are other woods that do not come with the saying

There are those who are allergic to Cocobolo and those that are going to be.

jcm71

Plus one on the comments above. I initially had no problems with Cocobolo. Now the skin around my eyes completely dries out, turns red, and sloughs off after a couple of days. That,s with using a respirator and face shield. I'll not work with again until I get a full face respirator or PAPR, such as the Trend. BTW, nice pens.

wouldentu2?

Nice pen now quit turning Cocobolo, there are a lot of woods out there to turn no sense is spending a lot of money on equipment and medical bills to turn that one. Just ask someone who is allergic to it , and the next guy, and the next guy, and the next guy...

Nice pen! Looks as if the cocobolo has already "turned" to its shades of orange and brown. Most often, it will turn initially a less dramatic and less pleasing (IMHO) set of colors. Exposure to light and air brings out the better set of colors.

Top Bottom