First Closed End Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Hello from Nebraska.

The second pen I made this morning is a first for me. It is gunmetal Zen style kit that I turned into a closed end pen. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out, but I will be changing some things up a little on the next one I make. It will be about 1/2-inch shorter and I will taper the closed end down a little more. I really like the grain and color of this piece of Cocobolo though. It looks nothing like the plain old dark brown blank that I started with. That's one of the reasons I like Cocobolo so much. There always seems to be some kind of surprize reveal when it is turned.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3636 PCropped.jpg

IMG_3632 PCropped.jpg
IMG_3633 PCropped.jpg
IMG_3634 PCropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Beautiful pen. I like the shape of the closed end because it complements the cap end. A pointier taper would look off, to me.

Hippie3180

Oh my goodness, you did it! I have one on the lathe right now, but have plans to try this soon. I think you did an excellent job! It looks SO good, that Cocobolo is very nice.

derekdd

I really like the looks of this done closed end style.

That piece of cocobolo is fantastic.

GaryMGg

Hello from Nebraska.

The second pen I made this morning is a first for me. It is gunmetal Zen style kit that I turned into a closed end pen. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out, but I will be changing some things up a little on the next one I make. It will be about 1/2-inch shorter and I will taper the closed end down a little more. I really like the grain and color of this piece of Cocobolo though. It looks nothing like the plain old dark brown blank that I started with. That's one of the reasons I like Cocobolo so much. There always seems to be some kind of surprize reveal when it is turned.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 356914
View attachment 356911
View attachment 356912
View attachment 356913
Beautiful stick of coco; love the colors and the finish looks terrific.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The blank is superb, but I really like the closed end.
A short learning curve, but well worth the effort.
Kudo's for you to push through the process.
Beautiful finished pen! Thanks for sharing. 👍 👍 👍

egnald

I like the piece of timber.
Very unique take on the Vertex but,I'm a postable kind of guy.
Nice workmanship though.
I'm a postable guy too. This was only my second closed end pen. The other one was a 10 inch long desk pen with a pen stand. This one is kind of growing on me though. I'm sure I will be turning another one before too long. - Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom