First Castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

Well after some good advice on the forums I got a few 32oz cans of resin to play with and some coloring... First impressions is that it is much harder than I thought it would be! With the First attempt I learned what happens when you wait to long before dropping it into a mold...

2iiaotl.jpg

The next one I put in a a little aluminum mold and made a pretty purple.. I need to make/buy some pen molds ( I just ordered 2-3 of them online and waiting till they come in next week)

oky6g2.jpg

I also did a green one, and tried to swirl some gold around, but I assume I never let my green set log enough because it turned into one mass...

2hsaqs8.jpg

So, I guess I need to work on my timing.. at this point I think I'll sand them to an even edge and glue them together and try to use the bandsaw to get one usable blank out of it... I dont know...

so, any suggestions into making pretty swirl patterns? I assume my gold/green mixed up together so badly because I didn't let the green sit long enough?

Going back to the library and read more... :) Was a fun afternoon, even though no real successes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Green is a little harder than some other colors. But keep at it. Figure that it will take about 15 minutes before you pour. And use about 3 to 4 drops of catalyst per ounce.

scjohnson243

For the problem with the green mold is it just my timing? did it all mix together because I did not wait long enough? I assume the first color needs more time to sit for sure so the other color will not absorb into it... is that correct?

BeSquare

One trick I'll do depending on the color is do one with 3 drops one with 4 and one with 5. Ends up with slightly different viscosity when you pour them and they tend to stay separate.

Top Bottom