First Casting Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Made my first batch of PR this weekend. Used the Gadget molds which worked great! This was also my first time turning something other than wood.

A Green Slimline in chrome trim for Saint Patricks
tn_Green%20PR%20Slimline.jpg

A Purple Slimline in chrome trim for Easter
tn_Purple%20PR%20Slimline.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Nice colours - great first cast! Your purple pen has a large amount of scratches, you see them just as the pic is magnifying. They swirl in all directions and look quite deep. I'm wondering if you forgot to finish sanding?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I just did a poor job of sanding I think. I sanded 180 to 400, them MM 3200 to 12000, but never was able to get rid of the scratches from the 180. I sanded like I do for wood, with lathe spinning, then turn off lathe and hand sand perpendicular.

I don't seem to have as bad a scratch problem with wood.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Steve, he wasn't copying you. He was flattering you. :D

Holmqer, if you only ever sand with the lathe on then the next grit will just "fall into" the grooves created by the previous grits. With acrylics and woods both you need to do "cross groove" sanding. Sand with the lathe running, stop the lathe then sand lengthwise until all the horizontal scratches are gone. Next finer grit: lathe on and sand, lathe off and sand lengthwise. I do this with all grits until I get to MM 6000 or so.

Same thing if you are using buffing wheels. You have to do "cross groove buffing" too. Otherwise you run the risk of melting grooves into your beautifully sanded finish.

GK

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I did the cross groove sanding with the lathe off thing, and it looked like I had all the circular scratches removed before I switched to next grit, but it seems that unlike wood, the scratches are not as noticable early on.

I think perhapse my method on wood of swabbing the blank with acetone between grits makes the scratches more visible. Since I was leary of putting acetone on the PR, I may have been tricked into not noticing the scratches early on.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by holmqer

I just did a poor job of sanding I think. I sanded 180 to 400, them MM 3200 to 12000, but never was able to get rid of the scratches from the 180. I sanded like I do for wood, with lathe spinning, then turn off lathe and hand sand perpendicular.

I don't seem to have as bad a scratch problem with wood.

I noticed the scratches on the purple one, too. Here's the long version of how I finish sand:

With resin, you have to be really careful how much pressure you put on the sandpaper, especially with the coarser stuff. It's like when you fall off your bike into gravel - if you land light, you'll get a bunch of little scrapes, but if you land heavy, you'll end up with a bunch of little scrapes and 3 or 4 that may need stitches. [B)]

When I finish with the skew, if things are a bit rough, I start with 320 dry paper, and go really light, most of the time with the lathe turned off. I only use 320 to hit any tough spots or chatter marks, being careful not to 'target' less than 1/4 of the the radius of the tube. I hold little hunks of sandpaper between my index finger and thumb with both hands and lightly scuff the areas that need it. As far as I'm concerned, if you're using 180 grit on your resins, then you're not allowing your tools to do enough cutting for you. There are many times I go straight to MM1800 or 2400 right after skewing for both resin and wood. 80% of the time, the only thing I use 320 for is to wet sand with CA to slurry-seal open grains.

Mostly, when working with resin, I don't even turn the lathe on until I get up to MM2400 or MM3200. I just lightly 'shoeshine' buff the top 1/3 of the tube on about a 45 degree angle (halfway between 'cross' grain and 'with' grain), then turn the lathe a little, and do it again, usually takes about 4 twists of the lathe spindle to get good overlap on the one-third radius sanding patterns that I do. Once I get that angle scuff (remember, all lightly, just barely touching the sandpaper to the tube), I then go long-wise using my right thumb (LIGHTLY!) on the paper back and forth while I turn the spindle hand wheel with my left hand really slow. Once I get to at least 32MM, then I'll turn on the lathe and lightly sand like normal, being very careful with the pressure, then 'shoeshine' again, then the back and forth thing.

When I get to MM6K, I sand with the lathe on, and then 'shoeshine' with a little more pressure, watching the reflection on the tube, keeping an eye out for deeper scratches. If I find one that got by, I'll go back a couple grits and 'shoeshine' it out, then start again from the next grit.

The 'shoeshine' method really works well at 8K and 12K, and many times I'll do it without the lathe on.

I don't wetsand because of the mess, and I'm too lazy to go get and manage a water cup, so after MM12K, I'll inspect the tube for scratches and if there's tiny ones still in there, out comes the white diamond buffing wheel, which I use most of the time on resins anyways, there's just no substitute for the shine depth you can get with a buffer.

I usually just leave the tube right on the mandrel when I buff, it gives you some handles to hold. As for buffer wheels, you don't need to spend a fortune on a Beall system or anything. After swapping out my mandrel for a drill chuck, I just use the Ryobi mandrel, Ryobi buffing wheel and Ryobi white compound that I got from HD for less than $20. I just bump my tailstock up to the end of the mandrel to support it. When I'm not using it, I keep my buffing wheel wrapped in a piece of thick felt that I drape over the lathe bed to protect the workpiece when I 'oops' and bump it where the lathe bed would have boogered it up. I really only ever use the one wheel, although I've got 4 different ones that I use from time to time, mainly on beads and profiles.

Anyways, once I'm done with the final buff, I assemble the pen. Then, I use a coat or two of Ren wax, waiting about 10 minutes between coats, and it's done.

I hope this helps, let me know if anything was unclear. It's really not as time consuming as it sounds...matter of fact it took me longer to type out the steps than it does to actually do them, and I'm no slouch on the keyboard. :)

Nice casts, by the way! Looking very good. Isn't it fun?! [:p]:D

ldb2000

Hi
Very nice pens...good colors...much better then my first cast :D
How are you finish turning the pens...Skew?...if you get a nice smooth skewed finish you won't have to start with the 180 grit which has rather large grains that leave very deep scratch lines that are very hard to sand out....I start my sanding with 320 grit and normally go through the grits to 600 sanding length wise between each then mm to 12000 then white diamond buff at 3 different angles and a final coat of renwax.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I did the finish turn with a skew, but I think I need to work on my technique, I can get a glass like finish with wood but was not able to get the same result with PR. I have 2 more blanks from my first batch of casting so perhapse I should just fool around with trying to get a good skew cut in that material, then I can skip the lower grits.

Also as someone pointed out, I had a serious brain fade, for some reason I mis-remembered the MM chart and thought 400 sandpaper was the same as 2400 MM so jumped strait to 3200 MM.

Buzz

I too have just got my Gadget molds and have been busy casting blanks over the weekend. Great fun made easier by the molds which are great to use.

Plenty of advise about sanding given here, but perhaps if you only cast them these weekend, they may have needed longer to dry thoroughly? What do others think?

I made a block of resin about a week and a half ago, and turned one blank within a couple of days. I notice that the rest of that batch seems a lot harder after a week or so.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Steve,

I did sand wet, but just realized that I skipped several grades of MM when I jumped from 400 sand paper to 3200 MM. I suspect that was one of the major cuplrits along with my poor skew technique.

Chris,

I may have been over eager to try them out, but I did notice that the blanks were hard as rock inside with the usual bit of surface tackiness. I have 2 more blanks and will try to make fewer mistakes with them before I cast some more.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Buzz

Plenty of advise about sanding given here, but perhaps if you only cast them these weekend, they may have needed longer to dry thoroughly? What do others think?

I just turned a PR blank about six hours after I cast it. Depending on how much catalyst and heat you use, there's no real need to allow them to 'dry' (cure) for days. I heat my molds and kick the catalyst up pretty good, as there's things that I like to do to the resin in the gel state, and if I don't get it there quick, I'm waiting around all day for it to gel, usually resulting in me getting sidetracked and forgetting. heh

After my blanks come out of the pot, they're hard enough to keep the bubbles from expanding, so I tip the block out of the mold, cut it up into blanks, and stick them on a rack in front of a space heater for a little while.

The one that I turned yesterday was a little softer, but it turned like a dream. You do have to be careful with it, but it's still plenty hard enough to work with. Now, if it's not catalyzed enough, it will take a week to cure. :D

Top Bottom