First Burl Finished Product

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmaxcy

Jmaxcy

Finished my first burl this weekend. American Elegant pen with rib fruited mallee burl. Still a hair off on the sizing, other than that happy with the final. Any comments as always are appreciated!

PS - Wood blank credit to @exoticwo. Beautiful blank at a more than reasonable price, much appreciated!

Attachments

• A5B33542-C8FC-45D5-B072-49E07F0C4235.jpeg
    A5B33542-C8FC-45D5-B072-49E07F0C4235.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 277
  • FAFA857B-D994-4B0C-8557-8B263E1D8962.jpeg
    FAFA857B-D994-4B0C-8557-8B263E1D8962.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nicely done !! . . I love working with that brown mallee burl.

Is this the pen kit ?

Jmaxcy

Very nicely done !! . . I love working with that brown mallee burl.

Is this the pen kit ?

Thanks!

That's the same kit, but I got mine from thewoodturningstore (legacy brand). I'm sure they are the same though. It's like a cigar kit but not as fat (8mm tube).

magpens

Thanks!

That's the same kit, but I got mine from thewoodturningstore (legacy brand). I'm sure they are the same though. It's like a cigar kit but not as fat (8mm tube).

Berea probably originated the kit. . They have had a long history in pen kit design and manufacturing. . I highly recommend their products in general.

Jmaxcy

Berea probably originated the kit. . They have had a long history in pen kit design and manufacturing. . I highly recommend their products in general.
I use the woodturning store because you can get free shipping on their eBay store if you buy a certain amount. I liked their cigar kits and they were substantially lower than rockler. I like their elegant American, however got some fountain kits from them and do not like them at all.

I recently placed an order with penkitsmall, haven't gotten them yet. Even cheaper, but quality TBD....

magpens

I use the woodturning store because you can get free shipping on their eBay store if you buy a certain amount. I liked their cigar kits and they were substantially lower than rockler. I like their elegant American, however got some fountain kits from them and do not like them at all.

I recently placed an order with penkitsmall, haven't gotten them yet. Even cheaper, but quality TBD....

I am VERY wary of penkitsmall (mainland China). . I hope you are satisfied with your shipment. . Let me know.
Very wary because you cannot view their pen kits without first registering on their website.

Also a warning about Rockler .... their instructions suck .... espec. the instructions for the Cigar kit (which is actually a Berea kit).

Jmaxcy

I am VERY wary of penkitsmall (mainland China). . I hope you are satisfied with your shipment. . Let me know.
Very wary because you cannot view their pen kits without first registering on their website.

Also a warning about Rockler .... their instructions suck .... espec. the instructions for the Cigar kit (which is actually a Berea kit).
I ordered penkitsmall through their Etsy store so didn't have to register anything. Their reviews seem to be largely positive, but I'll let you know once they come in. They were also very responsive when I had inquiries and requests instructions for each kit. They are so much cheaper i Figured it was worth a shot. I got their version of rollester kit and their cigar kits for about $4.25 a piece after factoring in shipping.

The legacy cigar instructions worked just fine. It's really not a complicated kit to put together, in my opinion.

magpens

I did not know that Penkitsmall has an Etsy store in addition to their website.

jttheclockman

Any burls always look good on any kit no matter where you get them from. Mother nature sure does best. Nice job.

exoticwo

Finished my first burl this weekend. American Elegant pen with rib fruited mallee burl. Still a hair off on the sizing, other than that happy with the final. Any comments as always are appreciated!

PS - Wood blank credit to @exoticwo. Beautiful blank at a more than reasonable price, much appreciated!
Pen looks Great! and I like that shine you got for the finish. Al

Top Bottom