First Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

This is my first attempt at turning a bowl. It was basically rotten firewood I salvaged because of the spalting. I have been told it is Spalted Hackberry Crotch wood. The wood was so rotten I used a spray lacquer finish that turned out to be more work than it was worth, and still didnt come out as planned. But the I thought the bowl still had potential. Its small, but its mine !! All comments are welcomed !!

200732823445_SpaltedHackberry0754.jpg

20073282358_SH0758.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Sean,

Nice looking first bowl. I do not believe the wood is Hackberry, though. I have turned and cut hundreds of pieces of hackberry and the bark you left on the piece does not look right for hackberry. All the hackberry that I have cut has bark that is around 1/4" thick and one solid color throughout. It also falls off within just a few days so getting a spalted piece with bark still on it is pretty tough. Also, the wood grain does not look like the hackberry that I have dealt with.

Now none of this is to say it is NOT hackberry! It is just certainly not the Hackberry that we have here in Central Texas which is the only one I have a lot of experience with. It looks more like maple.

Alexander

Thanks Curtis, the information that I had certianly was not what I would call a "credible" source. I appreciate your insight, but ya know since everything is much bigger in Texas there may be some other differences in our little Tennessee trees??[:D]

Alexander

Originally posted by Alexander
<br />Thanks Curtis, the information that I had certianly was not what I would call a "credible" source. I appreciate your insight, but ya know since everything is much bigger in Texas there may be some other differences in our little Tennessee trees??[:D] ( I think your right though, it does look a lot like maple )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom