First Bowl :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewboy22

Drewboy22

I finished my first bowl the other day. Made from a 6x6x2 block of rosewood. I still have a lot of learnin' to do and some tool techniques I need to get better at.

I did most of the hollowing and shaping at ~1600-2200rpm and I noticed a lot of vibration as I got closer to the finished product inside. By vibration I do not mean that my tool was jumping on the rest, I mean it sounded and felt like I was using a hammer drill to hollow it out. That could have been caused by the speed of the spindle or the angle of the tool...

However, here is the finished project (flaws and all) :wink:

20160329_204503_resized_zpspa2p8r7a.jpg

20160329_204452_resized_zpscvutx6gf.jpg

20160329_204415_resized_zpsvm6gp3sh.jpg

20160329_204411_resized_zps3ah3d5vc.jpg

20160329_204516_resized_zpsuqzaecfh.jpg

As always C&C are welcome and appreciated

Drew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I love thick bowls! Very cool!!

Must admit, my first was a chunk of pine from the burn pile.....I think I should have started with Rosewood too, as it looks a whole lot better!

Not sure about the vibrations...it's one of those "I-wasn't-there-so-I-can't-know" things. BTW, you have to sign-n-date the bottom:wink:

Scott (nice finish too) B

MTViper

Great look for a first bowl. I like that look rather than the paper thin bowls that seem to be in vogue today.

What were you using to hold the bowl on the headstock as you were hollowing it? If you were using a 4-jaw chuck, you need to look at the operator's manual for your chuck. Most say to limit the lathe speed to 660 RPM (or there abouts) when you don't have tailstock support so 1500-2200 would have been a little fast. Biggest danger would be the blank coming off the chuck at that speed.

As for the chatter, as the walls get thinner, they are more likely to vibrate as you get the sides narrower.

Drewboy22

Thanks for the comments :) This bowl has been about 3 months in the making because my lathe went down in January. When I first tried it I cut the corners off, and tried to follow what I say on youtube (he made it seam easy enough :wink: )

*a bit of history*

I mounted it on a screw chuck and put a tenon on the bottom of the bowl and kinda ruffed out half of the shape (That part made since to me at the time, and now I know my thoughts were faulty). Quickly spun it around and started to hollow it out and work on the outside again, the BAM!!! my tool caught and threw the bowl across the garage :confused: (Second pic shows where my tool caught). That was when I learned the difference between a pulling cut and a push cut. I called upon my fellow Alamo Woodturners before our meeting and received some much needed advice and help. I picked up a new lathe on Sunday and finished the bowl on Monday.

20160108_213058_resized_zpsc5zwqure.jpg

20160128_214220_resized_zpso7fjvu8d.jpg

20160128_214211_resized_zpsklsgz4bs.jpg

Drewboy22

I love thick bowls! Very cool!!

Must admit, my first was a chunk of pine from the burn pile.....I think I should have started with Rosewood too, as it looks a whole lot better!

Not sure about the vibrations...it's one of those "I-wasn't-there-so-I-can't-know" things. BTW, you have to sign-n-date the bottom:wink:

Scott (nice finish too) B

Thanks Scott, after I messed this one up the first time I was wishing I started with pine. But I got some good help from the San Antonio group and it worked out. As for the finish, I used "Pens Plus" not the best and I think I would have preferred BLO but who knows.

JimB

It appears from the pics you did things in the wrong sequence. It looks like you started to hallow out the bowl before you completed the outside, including the bottom.

If the last pic is what you were chucking it to I can see why it went flying across the room. That is not a proper way to grab it with a chuck.

You are lucky you didn't get hurt. Since you belong to a local club I strongly suggest you get with someone from the club and learn the proper way to turn a bowl. You will learn more in one hour side by side with someone than you will watching YouTube all day.

Also, for safety, wear a full face shield, not just glasses.

BE SAFE!

Top Bottom