First Bespoke Rollerball and a Bob Ross moment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TDahl

TDahl

This pen started out as a casting experiment. I was trying for a blank with some transparency and depth along with tight swirls. I used Alumilite Clear Slow and used the following colors:

Translucent dyes: Yellow, Blue, Red, and white
Opaque dyes: Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, and white

The translucent colors were poured into the matching opaque colors with the hope of creating depth and then poured into two separate divided mixing cups (I included a photo of the cups because I knew I would butcher up the description.) I used every other section for the colored resin and poured clear resin in the sections between the colors (again hoping for some kind of depth and transparency.) I poured both cups into ¾ inch PVC pipe forms. Here was my first learning experience – use a funnel with the mixing cups. I think I ended up with more resin outside the tubes then inside.

After the curing process was over, I removed the blank from the mold and found solid black blanks with some faint red and white streaks. Figuring I had mixed the resin too early which caused the colors to blend together creating "Mud", I determined the experiment was a failure. This is where my second learning experience kicked in.

I decided to turn the blanks down anyway and thought I would use them for black caps and finials. I drilled the pilot holes a little deeper than normal (this is another learning experience that will play out later on) because a thought I would be turning scrap material. As I started the turn the blank, multiple colors began to emerge – this is where Bob Ross and his Happy Accidents came out from hiding. At one point I decided to stop and measure how much material I actually had. I found it was just enough material to make a bespoke rollerball pen design I had been working on. After turning and threading I was happy with the result – until I realized I had a deep pilot hole in the end of the body. After considering what options I had, I decided to mix some red PR and see if I could patch the hole. This seemed to work really well. During the polishing stage even more colors and details began to emerge. One thing I wished I had done differently (other than giving up on the blank so quickly) is to pay more attention while sanding around the nose cone of the section. I lost 1 to 2 mm of material which is exposing more of the refill tip than I would like. All-in-all I am happy with the results, and have received many compliments.

After doing a little more research, and examining the pen under magnification, I found the black in the pen was actually the result of the multiple colors overlapping each other and the translucent properties in the resin were actually blending the colors together (blue, red, and yellow make black.) There are some colors that emerged in the pen that I never intended be there originally.

The moral of my long winded story is this, experiment with new ideas, and don't give up so quickly when things aren't going as expected. You never know when Bob Ross will come out from hiding.

For anyone interested, here are the dimensions of the completed pen:

Total length: 6 inches
Cap length: 2.75 inches
Barrel length: 3.25 inches
Section length: 1.25 inches

Cap diameter (largest): 17.42 mm
Barrel diameter (Cap end): 14.37 mm
Barrel diameter (Finial end): 10.24 mm

Tap and Die for Cap and Body: M13 x 0.8 TS
Tap and Die for Section and Body: M10 x 1 SS

Attachments

• IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 141

TDahl

I forgot to include the photo of the mixing cups.

Attachments

• IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 49

KMCloonan

I think it turned out pretty cool (Sort of a combination of Bob Ross and Jackson Pollock) AND provided several key lessons, which you are awesome for passing along to us! Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom