First Attempt - using miter box and hand saw ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thomgarner

thomgarner

I have been reviewing the process for making these type of designs and thought I make an attempt ... Made the cuts with a miter box and a hand saw. The segment slices were not of equal size so the fit and finish of the design was a little off but now I know I can do better and will be making a couple of jigs to make my cuts. I think I have the process in my mind ... now to execute them with a little more precision. Hope you do not laugh to hard at my first attempt ;).

Kit: Trimline
Wood: Mahogany
Finish is PensPlus w/topcoat of wax

Celtic Knot Mahogony 1 (1).JPG Celtic Knot Mahogony 1 (2).JPG Celtic Knot Mahogony 1 (4).JPG Celtic Knot Mahogony 1 (7).JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

That's a good start. I suggest you put that one away for future reference and for your next ones be willing to discard the imperfect attempts and start over. I've got way too many imperfect pens sitting around that I now wish I had just cleaned off the blank and started over instead of assembling them.

Keep at it and you will eventually find a process that works well for you. I think there may be an article in the library which goes in to some detail on getting perfect alignment.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll agree with all the above comments - and you will learn much from these first efforts. Take notes, save a few flawed blanks as they are valuable to see where you want to improve.

Segmenting is a cumulative effort of building on your strengths and improving your weaknesses.

The displayed pen shows much promise - you are closer to where you want to be than you suspect.

Have fun!

Woodchipper

Good design and segmenting. I'm impressed that you attempted the segmenting with the miter box and handsaw. I'm reluctant to try it with all the power tools I have. My complements on starting and doing a good job with the pen.

thomgarner

Not bad, not bad at all for your first attempts. What would the jig before?
I going to create a couple of table saw jigs and set the angles to be 45, 33, and 22.5 degree angles along with stops to make the angles cuts symmetrical ... these will make for different patterns and different shapes and configurations. At least that is my goal :p

randyrls

I going to create a couple of table saw jigs and set the angles to be 45, 33, and 22.5 degree angles along with stops to make the angles cuts symmetrical ... these will make for different patterns and different shapes and configurations. At least that is my goal :p

Tom; What Lee said is correct. The slices must match the kerf of the saw. Cut part way thru a scrap and then accurately measure the kerf with feeler gauges or calipers. There is a jig in the Library to help cut accurate slices.

Top Bottom