Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

381958_254521681274571_100001502242963_689934_1630055146_n.jpg

384365_254521727941233_100001502242963_689935_1713192720_n.jpg

379908_254521767941229_100001502242963_689936_520548258_n.jpg

381040_254524371274302_100001502242963_689940_1408831440_n.jpg

379003_254524454607627_100001502242963_689941_202146277_n.jpg

Well, here it is. I know the concept is good, my skills need to catch up, though. It came out better than I thought it would overall, but it's still ROUGH. I couldn't polish the finish due to how the label set up, next time I'm using an aerosol finish of some sort to build up layers so I can CA over it properly. I couldn't touch the label once I got glue involved because my fingerprints kept showing in two of the OTHER labels I'd scrubbed off. I used a one-piece Slimline for the un-lit cigar look, and it's black walnut. The timber looks spot-on, and the thick, textured CA looks like the cigar is wrapped kinda. I wouldn't have pressed this hard, but a good friend was dead set on getting one of these made, and I wanted to test the concept I had with the Slim based cigar. I learned a LOT here, and when I do get around to another one, I hope my skills have moved forward far enough to really make one to show off. Any thoughts good or bad are welcome, this was a learning project.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That's pretty neat,real creative!

I was wondering how it opens up? I can't see a seam between the upper and lower barrels so I'm stumped.I've never seen a one-piece slimline before.

Steve

Drstrangefart

That's pretty neat,real creative!

I was wondering how it opens up? I can't see a seam between the upper and lower barrels so I'm stumped.I've never seen a one-piece slimline before.

Steve

It twists at the nib. The bottom tube isn't glued in, just held in place by the transmission.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Or get rid of the cap alltogether.

Either make a wood plug or closed end but get rid of the cap.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Until then Try and make a plug out of the original material and sand it down flush and see if that doesnt look better than the gold cap.

trapper

well it looks good to me, although not to sure about the "nib" wonder if the nib piece from a key chain pen would be better its shorter with a wider angle but does fit slimline tubes and cross refills

Drstrangefart

well it looks good to me, although not to sure about the "nib" wonder if the nib piece from a key chain pen would be better its shorter with a wider angle but does fit slimline tubes and cross refills

I will definitely keep that in mind on the next one. This was a "Work with that ya got" project.

Drstrangefart

I took this one to work to show it off. It got a very good response, so I guess I did better than I thought. I have no clue how to price it, so there's gonna be some interesting discussion on that subject tomorrow night.

Rick P

Alan you can do close end on a standard mandrel......use that technique for both sections, add a bit of ash colored buckeye burl and you got a pen folks will try to put a match to!

Way to think out of the box!

Drstrangefart

Alan you can do close end on a standard mandrel......use that technique for both sections, add a bit of ash colored buckeye burl and you got a pen folks will try to put a match to!

Way to think out of the box!

I've tried doing closed end on the mandrel and haven't been too successful. I'm not sure how I'd go about it to be entirely honest. The wobble pretty much tore my barrel to pieces even with the tailstock doing its best to hold things still. I'd like a demo on it at some point or another.

Rick P

Well Im a bit too far away for you to swing by the shop but your welcome to come on up!

Honestly the best writen exlanation of how to do closed end on a mandrel is in the IAP library. I can barely explain to my 5 year old how to tie his shoes!

thewishman

Looks like a good start. How about if you put the nib on the INSIDE rather than the outside. You'd still have the support, but the end would be much more cigar-ish.

Mac

Closed end is the first choice. I need parts to do closed ends first, though.

Don't know if this will help, but I have used either pen jaws on a chuck or a drill chuck in th head stock to hold piece while turning antler tip key chains or closed end key chains(like a coke bottle shape or baseball bats).
Glue in brass tube leaving enough sticking out, so that you can clamp in chuck. And to true up end.
Find drill bit that will fit snug in the tube being used.Using the smooth part of the bit to keep the brass tube from colapsing in on itself when tightened on chuck. cut the bit to fit the whole length of the tube.
You can use the tailstock with this method.

ragz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman
Looks like a good start. How about if you put the nib on the INSIDE rather than the outside. You'd still have the support, but the end would be much more cigar-ish.

I am oficcially TOTALLY lost as to what a nib mounted inside would look like or how it would be accomplished.

Lots of drilling. I actually have something in the works for this and will probably finish up in a day or two.

Drstrangefart

Closed end is the first choice. I need parts to do closed ends first, though.

Don't know if this will help, but I have used either pen jaws on a chuck or a drill chuck in th head stock to hold piece while turning antler tip key chains or closed end key chains(like a coke bottle shape or baseball bats).
Glue in brass tube leaving enough sticking out, so that you can clamp in chuck. And to true up end.
Find drill bit that will fit snug in the tube being used.Using the smooth part of the bit to keep the brass tube from colapsing in on itself when tightened on chuck. cut the bit to fit the whole length of the tube.
You can use the tailstock with this method.

When I get set up to drill on the lathe I'll definitely have that trick in mind. All I have rifht now is a clamp chuck that isn't something I've used a whole lot just yet. It's too large to hold a turned pen barrel, and there'd be no way to do much of a closed end with it as far as I know.

shadrach1944

Here's my first attempt on creating a fake cigar and need to figure out how to recess the center to make it appear as a one piece pen. I used the EL Grande pen kit.

Attachments

• ClosedEnd EL Grande168.jpg
    ClosedEnd EL Grande168.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 86
  • ClosedEnd EL Grande170.jpg
    ClosedEnd EL Grande170.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 105

Drstrangefart

Here's my first attempt on creating a fake cigar and need to figure out how to recess the center to make it appear as a one piece pen. I used the EL Grande pen kit.

LOOKS like you might be able to countersink the ring at the end and recess it out of sight. As I have no legitimate experience with it, that's purely conjecture. Looks like a good start, though!

Top Bottom