first attempt at a small bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

This is my forst attempt at making a natural edged bowl. It is a piece of redwood someone gave me. It sat here for several months while I waited to do something with it. This is the result. Comments please.

th_RedwoodBurlbowl-1.jpg

The other two bowls followed soon after.

th_Products-18.jpgth_Products-16.jpg

I'd love to hear what people have to say. Be honest, I am learning things here.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankG

Here's my 2¢: Of the 3 pieces, the hollow form is absolutely the best. As I see it, they all suffer from the same problem - the shapes are too symmetrical; all 3 end up being the arc of a circle, which isn't really interesting. If you look at a lot of bowls turned by the more experienced turners you will find that the larger diameter is usually 1/3 of the distance from the top instead of 1/2 (it could also be 1/3 of the distance from the bottom, but that starts to get more into vases). Also, you need to work on the feet: the bottoms need to curve in more, and should probably include a small foot. Look at a lot of bowls - like on the AAW website - get a feel for what shapes look best, and try to incorporate those shapes into your work.

That said, I think you're off to a fine start. You certainly have consistent curves, nice finishing, and your'e doing a good job with the natural edges.

Not that it makes any difference, but I would call the three pieces a cup, a hollow form, and a bowl - in that order.

Last edited:

mtgrizzly52

Larry,

For your first attempts, those are really pretty nice. I really like the hollow form, but all three show that you have a good eye and a good hand. Wish my first bowls and HFs looked that good.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

ldubia

Here's my 2¢: Of the 3 pieces, the hollow form is absolutely the best. As I see it, they all suffer from the same problem - the shapes are too symmetrical; all 3 end up being the arc of a circle, which isn't really interesting. If you look at a lot of bowls turned by the more experienced turners you will find that the larger diameter is usually 1/3 of the distance from the top instead of 1/2 (it could also be 1/3 of the distance from the bottom, but that starts to get more into vases). Also, you need to work on the feet: the bottoms need to curve in more, and should probably include a small foot. Look at a lot of bowls - like on the AAW website - get a feel for what shapes look best, and try to incorporate those shapes into your work.

That said, I think you're off to a fine start. You certainly have consistent curves, nice finishing, and your'e doing a good job with the natural edges.

Not that it makes any difference, but I would call the three pieces a cup, a hollow form, and a bowl - in that order.

Thanks for the comments. I will look into the forms as you suggested. The cup (being the first) is actually about 6" in diameter. It was designed as a heavy bowl. I had one other one but it got sold within days of making it. I never got a picture of it.

I had a hollow form tat was 8" tall, 3" at the base and 4 1/2 " at the top with a 1 1/2" opening I was working on. The material was redwood burl like the first bowl (cup). I was working the inside and the tool (standard beginners tools) caught a knot or something, got pitched and shattered the whole piece. Has this ever happened to anyone? I was taking very light cuts at medium speed with freshly sharpened tools. I do not have any hollow forming tools or the like yet, having only been turning a few months. Anyone got anymore good ideas or advice?

Larry

nava1uni

Aren't bowls and pens meant to explode upon contact? LOL. I am sure that it has happened to all of us. It is true that sharp tools are important, light cuts, but also trying to figure out what the wood is doing. To me this means looking at what the wood is doing, how the energy is being released from the wood and stopping to look at your progress and if it is showing any stress.

louisbry

Nice work for a beginner. Looks like you have access to some wonderful wood and I bet that as you gain experience you will turn some outstanding artistic pieces. Keep up the good work. I remember that when I began turning I was concentrating on turning technique and only until after I had that down did I really get into being able to concentrate on the artistic shapes that FrankG alludes to.

Rcd567

First off, AWESOME WORK! Course I'm rather new at this too and would love to do a natural edge and a hollow form. Most of my bowls are probably rather boring, but my wife, friends, and family love them. ;)

And as far as catches go...if the article that exploded really ticks me off, I'll lay it out in the driveway and run it over with my truck several times. (Just kidding) Mostly I just throw what isn't usable into the fireplace and listen to it scream. :)

Top Bottom