First Antler Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Geo in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first attempt at antler. My LOML's uncle gave me some antler (whitetail - no axis up here). He didn't believe a pen could be made from antler so I made him a Sierra and his wife a Comfort pen. Used a lot of CA trying to fill this porous stuff. I found it difficult to stay away from the center of it (pith?). The Sierra looks rough and cracked near the clip and finial and I don't know why because it's not. He's promised more goodies soon!

200511435531_Chrome%20Sierra.jpg

200511435618_Gold%20TN%20Comfort.jpg

Any and all opinions or suggestions good or bad welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

George,
I really like both pens, but I do favor the Sierra, with its black contrast. My first buck (actually my only buck), rather--my first deer was a 6 pointer that field-dressed at 155 lbs. I have kept its rack, but my wife doesn't want it hanging on a wall, nor do I really (I don't hunt anymore, too painful). I am thinking of doing a "personal use pen" out of it. Can you inlay/laminate antler?
Rob

Thanks for all the kind words. I think I was just lucky. I have to make more for Christmas. I hope they'll turn out as well.

Rob - I know nothing about the laminating or inlaying of antler. I haven't even tried any with wood. Maybe of the other more experienced people here will chime in.

William and jimbo31751 - the crystal used is a chunk of amethyst. My son got it years ago (don't know where) and LOML swiped it from him. William, I just read your post on your axis sierra. Nice looking pen. Too bad there's no axis here - the antler on white tail isn't very straight and the pith is difficult if not impossible to work around.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
George,

Thanks, I thought it might be amethyst, but wasn't sure. I don't blame your wife for taking it, it is beautiful. I agree, white tail antler can be a trial, but sometimes the pith can be a nice accent. I do prefer the enamel look of axis, it is just harder to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom