First and Third piece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

It's hard to believe that it is 8 years since I got my first lathe. How time flies, but that one had a heart attack and now I have a Nova 1624-44 which I am very happy with.:) The first few years I didn't do very much turning, mainly because I was doing lots of other stuff as well.
These two pieces are the 1st and 3rd bits that I did on the lathe. I had never used one before.:)
The captive ring was a bit of a challenge because I only had a basic set of chisels and had to use a "Screwdriver" to cut the back of the ring.:eek:
The 2nd piece I made was an off centre spindle which has long since disappeared. The goblet is made from a bit of jarrah and shows the natural cracks that I had to deal with. The walls are 1/16 thick which I was pretty pleased with. To this day I have never had a lesson and still don't know how to use my chisels correctly.:redface:
All my results happen after a lot of sanding.
For your interest and amusement.:biggrin:
Cheers'
Bob.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 246
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Nice work. I've never tried a captive ring. I should give it a try. Looks like it would be good for learning you tools better. I really like the goblet, very nice proportions to it. A lot of people get the stem to fat for the height in my opinion. I really think you hit it. Nice work.

Bob Wemm

Now there is a thought, I would never have considered a captive ring on a goblet??????.
I still don't have the right tool but I have some NICE wood to have a play with.
Thanks for the idea.
Bob.

W.Y.

Now there is a thought, I would never have considered a captive ring on a goblet??????.
I still don't have the right tool but I have some NICE wood to have a play with.
Thanks for the idea.
Bob.

I have turned lots of captive ring goblets. Both single and double and intertwined .

375709240.jpg

260942740.jpg

W.Y.

Hi Bill,
Now, THAT is a "CHALLENGE". For real or a trick??????????
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Cheers
Bob.

100% real off my lathe .
I never post pictures of anyone else's work but my own unless I make it very plain they are not my own work .

Here's a couple more I saved pictures of.
I made a bunch of them but nobody wants to pay any more than ten bucks for them around here so I gave most of them away.

375594766.jpg

259235392.jpg

TerryDowning

To this day I have never had a lesson and still don't know how to use my chisels correctly.:redface:
All my results happen after a lot of sanding.
For your interest and amusement.:biggrin:
Cheers'
Bob.

If you are achieving the desired results and not damaging yourself or your work then IMHO, you are using your tools correctly. Efficiently using tools is another argument, correctness of use is a largely function safety and end result.

Looking good Bob.

Bob Wemm

Bill, I wasn't suggesting that they weren't your work, that intertwined ring has got me bamboozled, I meant was it a trick with the ring, or is it possible to turn them intertwined, Amazing!!!!!!!
Cheers Bob.

W.Y.

Bill, I wasn't suggesting that they weren't your work, that intertwined ring has got me bamboozled, I meant was it a trick with the ring, or is it possible to turn them intertwined, Amazing!!!!!!!
Cheers Bob.

Oh . . that part is easy Bob.
You just break one ring open on the grain line and stick it through the other one and CA glue it back together and sand smooth and you cannot find where it was joined. But we won't tell anyone aboput that will we ? . . LOL . . .
If being carefull you can open just one side rather than both which makes it easier. A lot of it has to do with the way you are holding your ears while you are going about it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom