First and Second pour results by jaeger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

This is a picture of my first and second pour. I decided to start with Casting Craft and some opaque dyes and pearl ex from Hobby Lobby.The first mix I made a blue, a purple and a yellow, all with pearl ex added.
The second pour I made another purple and used pieces of the yellow from my first pour. This is the blank I had my goals set on.
I turned the first pen from the first pour to see what I was going to be working with. I had mixed everything with a pop sickle stick and the cup of resin warming up in a larger cup with rather warm water to warm up the resin. I let the molds sit underneath a 100 watt light over night to cure.
Results, very chippie. I thought it was going to blow up on me the whole time I turned it. I actually completed the blanks in one piece. Amazing. I had very tiny air bubbles that I had to reach deep into my bag of trips to fix. (Ended up using a marker to color the white tiny specks.) Pretty much worked but I was not satifsied for future pours. I had to put it on a kit because it was my first and it looks pretty good.

The second pour I did something else that I have learned here. Just because something seems like it is not the right way to do something, sometimes you have to try it. Let me explain, and this is the point that I have to give a Shout Out to Grub32. Hey John! Thanks for putting the clips on "you tube". You see, what he does is mix the resin with a pop sickle stick attached to a drill. Now my thought was, this is CRAZY!!! This is just going to make a ton of bubbles. No Way! Well I decided to try it after my first pour because I knew my first pour had issues. So... after mixing with John's method, I put my table top sander on the table that my molds sat, and ran this to vibrate the table for about 10-15 minutes.
I had day and night difference. The blanks on the second pour turned very nice, NO bubbles and it was not chippie. I will go with the simlar 40 when I get the chance.
I want to finish out the last of the Casting Craft on some clear blanks with photos or stamps or something. I will post on this thread when I get this done.

Here are the pictures.

Thanks again John Grub32!!!!
DSCN1885.jpg

Last edited:

DozerMite

Banned
The CC is much more brittle, no matter what you do it is still brittle.

The Silmar 41 is less expensive and turns much nicer.

Top Bottom