First Aluminum pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eteska

eteska

Inspired by the pen turners bible. I ordered some aluminum rod from amazon and made a cigar style pen using gunmetal parts. I really like the contrasting colors.

Question for those of you have worked with aluminum. Do you put any kind of protective finish on it? I have already managed to put a couple of small scratches on it. I foolishly put my keys in the same pocket as the pen as I walked into work this morning.

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I made a pen very similar to yours many many years ago when I first started turning pens and put a brushed finish on it. I use it as my desk pen or at least one of them but it gets the bulk of the work. I have gone through many refills. It is nicked and has a few dents but that is character to me. Shows it gets used. Every pen you make will get dinged and scratched no mater what finish you put on it. I almost put a clear powdercoating on mine but chose not to. I chose the brushed look because it can hide a few of those scratches. Unless you use in an environment that is always protected pens will get abused. Nice looking pen and good job. Now I did include a photo of mine just to show the finish.

Copy of IMGP0368.JPG

magpens

You have done a beautiful job on that pen !!!!

I love the contrast between the barrels and the gunmetal/black pieces !!!!

eteska

Thx for the response. I guess I know they will all get abused to some extent and develop scratches. My frustration is really more with myself if I am honest. Finished the pen at 11:30 last night put some nice scratches on it by 7:00 this morning. Regardless I am happy with it and I'll make a few more out of aluminum at some point.

frank123

Great looking pen.

As for a finish, none is really needed but I usually put a little renaissance wax on mine just for the sake of it. It's easy enough to buff small scratches and stuff out if it bothers you.

Jans husband

Very nice pens shown here.

What kind of lathe do people use for aluminium, brass and bronze?

I have made 1 aluminium streamline pen on my wood lathe, but it was difficult to drill and turn. I assume the preference is a metal lathe, and I see Danny used one for his recent excellent bronze pen.

Are there any secrets to using a wood lathe for such materials, eg speed, tools used etc.?

Mike

Bryguy

I anodize my aluminum pens. It makes an almost diamond hard surface coating and adds color. There is a good tutorial in the Library by Brad Gothard and he also has a few YouTube videos.

Attachments

• First Anodised Cigar 7-5-16.JPG
    First Anodised Cigar 7-5-16.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 157

eteska

Very nice pens shown here.

What kind of lathe do people use for aluminium, brass and bronze?

I have made 1 aluminium streamline pen on my wood lathe, but it was difficult to drill and turn. I assume the preference is a metal lathe, and I see Danny used one for his recent excellent bronze pen.

Are there any secrets to using a wood lathe for such materials, eg speed, tools used etc.?

Mike

Hello. I completed mine on a wood lathe. I used a collet chuck for drilling starting with a center drill. I felt like the drilling portion of this project went very smoothly. For turning I experimented a lot. I tried a spindle gouge, bowl gouge, and three different shaped carbide cutters. I finally settled on my square 2" radius carbide cutter. Speeds again lots of playing around. I tried from 250-1500 rpms. I never did settle on a speed that I felt was significantly better than the the rest. But I turned most of the time somewhere in the middle of my range. Turning was slow going.

For finishing is started sanding at 220 320 and 400 dry. Then I switched to wet sanding 400 all the way to 3000. All done at 600 rpms. I just used water but I just skimmed the chapter in the pen turners bible and he used a cutting oil. I will probably try an oil next time. I polished after the sanding using meguires plastix. Probably not the right stuff but it's what I had on hand and what I use on everything else.

Please take all of this with a grain of salt as it was my first.

jttheclockman

I too use my Jet 1014VS wood lathe to make that pen I shown. At that time I did not have carbide cutters for they were not a thing back then. Used standard turning tools and drill on the lathe as normal wood blanks. Did lower the speed for drilling but turning was the same. Just need to cover electronics so chips do not get into VS I like the anodized look. May have to look at that some day.

Top Bottom