First actual pens from new jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

I've been showing a few blanks made with help of the new jig I built. Here are the first two pens. I figured I better actually finish a couple as sometimes, as you know, the blanks can look totally different after turning. Both are GT Knurls from Exotic Blanks. Woods used was, maple, chechen, ash, redheart , Purpleheart and blue and red vulcanized paper.
IMG_1664.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really like those Ken. 👍 If my mind understands your process and the design/blank and on the left... the inserts will curve around each side? As your slots are cut through the entire blank (front-back), the match should be perfect, leaving only a good alignment with the ends of the blank as the last concern to keep a tight appearance. Correct me please if I am wrong

Many, many design opportunities for the "Burgess Jig." 🤣👍🤣 (Hey, it will be replicated, me including, but maybe at least you will get mentioned).

OK, you've slacked off enough the last 23 minutes - back to the dungeon/shop you go...

Oh, stay healthy! 😷

KenB259

Thanks Mark. Here's a picture of basically the same cuts I made for the one your questioning. I just glued in the infill, cut down the middle, just to the inlay and glue in a new " middle". Since the cuts are the same, left and right, alignment is extremely easy.
EE5430AE-1673-43B4-AFA7-65993F8C50C7.png

Curly

You could cut a groove half way down the length and put in the inlay. When it dried repeat for the other side. You would never have any alignment issues that way. Or at least less talented imitators wouldn't. ;)

KenB259

I really like those Ken. [emoji106] If my mind understands your process and the design/blank and on the left... the inserts will curve around each side? As your slots are cut through the entire blank (front-back), the match should be perfect, leaving only a good alignment with the ends of the blank as the last concern to keep a tight appearance. Correct me please if I am wrong

Many, many design opportunities for the "Burgess Jig." 🤣[emoji106]🤣 (Hey, it will be replicated, me including, but maybe at least you will get mentioned).

OK, you've slacked off enough the last 23 minutes - back to the dungeon/shop you go...

Oh, stay healthy! [emoji40]

Mark, here's a side view. It should have had one more inlay.
IMG_1666.JPG

KenB259

I can see that red and white pattern being transformed in a baseball like pattern. Nice work on both. Way out of my league.

I've never made the baseball themed pen that's out there, a little gimmicky to my taste, but I can see that pattern with the stripe in the middle also being red, fitting that kit nicely.

Top Bottom